The SFMTA is governed by a seven-member Board of Directors appointed by the mayor. The SFMTA Board has the authority to appoint the Executive Director, approve the budget and set agency policy.
The SFMTA Board meets on the first and third Tuesday of every month at 1:00 p.m. at City Hall, Room 400, unless otherwise noted.
The SFMTA Board of Directors governs the SFMTA, including the San Francisco Municipal Railway (Muni) and the Department of Parking and Traffic (DPT). The SFMTA Board of Directors also serves as members of the San Francisco Parking Authority.
BOARD POLICY AND GOVERNANCE COMMITTEE
The primary functions of the Policy and Governance Committee of the SFMTA Board of Directors are:
- Assist the Board in the task of overall governance, including considering and recommending policies and procedures concerning the Board’s operations and standards.
- Assist the SFMTA as it assumes new responsibilities including implementation of Prop A, the Transit Effectiveness Project (TEP), the Blue Ribbon Panel recommendations and the potential addition of the Taxi Commission responsibilities and coordinate the impacts of the various changes at an appropriate level.
- Monitor the implementation of the Strategic Plan.
- Serve as a sounding panel for the Executive Director and Senior staff as appropriate.
- The Policy and Governance Committee of the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency Board of Directors meets on the third Friday of every month at 9 a.m. at One South Van Ness Avenue on the seventh floor, unless otherwise noted.
HOW TO FIND INFORMATION ABOUT THE BOARD'S ACTIONS
If you know the date on which the item was considered, please go to the webpage for that meeting and review the agenda. The files for all calendar items appear after the meeting notice but before the agenda text. The minutes of the meeting will list the action taken by the Board with respect to every item on the agenda. Minutes are posted within 48 hours of approval (at the next Board meeting).
Also available online are Resolution Logs. A Resolution Log is maintained for actions taken by the SFMTA Board/Parking Authority Commission in prior years. If you would like a copy of a resolution, please contact the Board Secretary at 415.701.4505 or via e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Office of the SFMTA Board of Directors
BEYOND THE BOARD
In addition to the Board of Directors, the SFMTA has a number of boards and committees that are authorized to facilitate agency governance regarding a host of critical transportation areas. Some of these entities are internal to the agency, with members who are SFMTA staff. Others are interagency committees staffed by the SFMTA and other City departments. There are also a number of citizen boards and committees designed to provide public input and involvement in the governance of the agency.
Many of the governing bodies of the agency are structured for the public’s involvement and participation. Explore more of our organization to learn more about how the SFMTA is governed and to see where you might make a contribution to our ongoing efforts to improve transportation in the city and county of San Francisco.
PUBLIC RECORDS REQUEST
The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) and its governing body, the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency Board of Directors, are committed to providing members of the public their full rights to access public records in the possession of the SFMTA.
In 1999 San Francisco voters passed Proposition E, which combined the Municipal Railway (Muni) and the Department of Parking and Traffic (DPT) into a new agency called the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA). The SFMTA is governed by a seven-member Board of Directors appointed by the mayor. The SFMTA Board has the authority to appoint the Executive Director, approve the budget and set agency policy.
Meeting links below open in a new window or tab.