Release date: 2/24/11
*** Press Release ***
The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA), which operates the Municipal Railway (Muni), has announced the continuation of track improvement work on the Muni Metro system. Rail maintenance work to repair and replace worn rail components at the intersection of Church Street and Duboce Avenue will take place from 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Construction will require a partial closure of the intersection and lane closures on the surrounding streets all weekend as well as the use of Muni bus shuttles on the N Judah Line between Church Street and Ocean Beach. The J Church Line will serve all stops between Market Street and the Balboa Park Station.
Inbound N Line customers continuing downtown may transfer from the bus shuttle at Church Street to the Muni Metro at the Church Street Station. Outbound N Line customers can catch bus shuttle service at the temporary terminal at 14th and Church streets.
Muni Service Impacts
J Church and N Judah Subway Service
- Shuttle trains will operate in the Muni Metro subway between Embarcadero Station and Castro Station.
- Church Street Station is the transfer point to street level service to the outer terminals for both the J and N lines.
J Church Street Level Service
- Outbound J Line customers can continue their trip at the regular outbound stop on Church Street at Market Street.
- J Line trains will serve all stops between Church and Market streets and the Balboa Park Station.
- The last inbound stop will be at Church and Market streets. Customers can continue downtown by transferring to inbound subway service.
- Accessible service for customers with disabilities will be provided by the J Church Supplemental Shuttle Bus. The northbound Shuttle will depart from 18th and Church streets. The next stop will be at Market and Church. The southbound Shuttle will start from the temporary terminal on Church Street just south of Market. The next stop will be at 18th and Church.
- Transfer locations for the Muni 22 Fillmore bus route are at the Church and Market streets islands.
N Judah Street Level Service
- N Judah trains will not operate between Church Street Station and Ocean Beach.
- Bus shuttles will operate between Ocean Beach and Church Street Station. Customers will need to then transfer to inbound subway service.
- The stop at the east portal of the Sunset Tunnel will not be served by the bus shuttle.
- Outbound N Line customers should take the bus shuttle from the temporary terminal at 14th and Church streets
- 22 Fillmore customers should expect delays. Electric trolley buses will serve the route during the day, and Owl service will be on motor buses.
- There are no changes to service on the K Ingleside, L Taraval, M Ocean View, T Third, N Owl or the 37 Corbett.
- Extra “Shuttle Trains” will operate between Embarcadero and Castro stations.
Signs will be in place to direct customers to the temporary bus stops. SFMTA Ambassadors will be in the area to provide information and to assist customers in making connections on Muni bus and rail service.
- Westbound Duboce Avenue between Church and Fillmore streets will be closed starting at 7 a.m., Saturday through the completion of construction on Sunday.
- Traffic will detour from westbound Duboce Avenue via southbound Church Street to westbound 14th Street.
- Eastbound Duboce Avenue traffic will be required to turn south at Church Street.
- Vehicular traffic will be restricted to one lane in each direction on Church Street between Market and Hermann streets during construction.
- Some street parking will not be available in or near construction zones, specifically on Church Street between Duboce and south of Market.
Local access will be granted and all local businesses will remain open.
- "About us" links:
- Sitewide links:
|Visit the 311 Self-service portal|