City and County of San Francisco
Municipal Transportation Agency
Citizens’ Advisory Council
Engineering, Maintenance and Safety Committee
Wednesday, April 25, 2011, at 4:00 p.m.
1 South Van Ness Avenue, Conference Room 3075
San Francisco, California
1. Call to Order
Chairman Weaver called the meeting to order at 4:09 p.m.
2. Roll Call
EMSC Members present at Roll Call: Steve Ferrario and Daniel Weaver
EMSC Members absent: None
CAC members not on this committee, but also present: None
3. Announcement of prohibition of sound producing devices during the meeting.
The CAC Secretary made the announcement.
4. Approval of Minutes of February 27, 2012:
On motion to approve the minutes of February 27, 2012: Approved
Ayes – Ferrario and Weaver
Nayes – None
Absent - None
5. Report of the Chairman (For discussion only):
6. Public Comment:
Bob Planthold commented on public accessibility while attending meetings at One South Van Ness Avenue.
7. Presentation, discussion and possible action regarding the status of light rail vehicle rehabilitation. (John Haley, Director, Transit Division)
John Haley discussed the status of the light rail vehicle rehabilitation program. Mr. Haley stated that vehicle repair is underway and that two of eleven vehicles being repaired will be back this December. Mr. Haley discussed the cost for the Vehicle Overhaul Program which will include 134 vehicles for repair.
8. Presentation, discussion and possible action regarding the SFMTA’s stroller policy. (John Haley, Director, Transit Division)
John Haley stated that that the policy for strollers on Muni is found in a directive under the Operations Bulletin, but not an actual policy. Mr. Haley stated he is researching if there is an official policy for strollers on Muni.
Ed Evans commented on situations he has seen on Muni. He described an incident he seen on the bus of a passenger who blocked seating because she had an oversized stroller. Mr. Evans also commented that he would like to see a policy that persons with children seat at regular passenger seats.
Bob Planthold commented on his experience of passengers with strollers and safety for passengers on Muni. He also commented on senior and disabled seating.
David Pilpel commented that the proposed policy should be reviewed for safety, general customer impact, and all-door boarding.
9. Presentation, discussion and possible action regarding bus procurement. (Elson Hao, Principal Engineer, Transit Division)
Elson Hao discussed the bus replacement project and the design highlights of vehicles. The SFMTA will purchase buses through the Minnesota Cooperative Purchasing Venture (CPV) for hybrid buses. The CPV will allow the SFMTA to purchase goods and services under contracts established by the State of Minnesota.
Ed Evans commented on easing accessibility for wheelchair passengers for new vehicles.
Edward Mason commented on a lawsuit involving wheelchair passengers at the VTA.
10. Committee Members’ request for information
- Dan Weaver would like a copy of Muni’s evaluation on high-floor/low floor vehicles.
- Steve Ferrario would like to know who has ownership of Muni vehicles, and if they are financially obligated to help repair vehicles.
- Dan Weaver requested a copy of an approved CAC motion (2009) regarding Muni’s stroller policy.
- 11. Schedule upcoming calendar items (For discussion only)
Next regular meeting: May 23, 2012 at 4:00 p.m.
1 South Van Ness Avenue, 3rd Floor Conference Room 3075
12. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 5:58 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by:
SFMTA CAC - Secretary
Accessible meeting policy – One South Van Ness Avenue