|SFMTA home > About Us > Public Notices and Meetings > SFMTA Citizens Advisory Council (CAC) > OCSC January 12, 2009,|
City and County of San Francisco
Operations & Customer Service Committee (OCSC)
Regular Meeting Minutes
Monday, January 12, 2009 at 3:00 p.m.
1. Call to Order / Roll Call:
OCSC Members present at Roll Call: Joan Downey, Norman Rolfe and Ruth Wheeler (pro tem for Mary Burns)
OCSC Members absent: Mary Burns and Daniel Murphy
2. Adopt Minutes of November 17, 2008:
On motion to adopt the minutes of November 17, 2008: Adopted:
3. Public Comment concerning any issue within the jurisdiction of the Council and not noted on the agenda:
4. Report of the Chairman: Joan Downey
No report presented.
5. Metro Operations Update: (Discussion/Action) John Byrd
John Byrd, Deputy Director, Rail Operations, stated that while requisitions for operators are being filled, there is a hiring freeze due to the deficit. On-time performance has been affected by the lack of personnel, as well as vehicle availability. A compelling number of rail cars are disabled due to accidents. Operations is seeking funding for repairs from Proposition K and the Metropolitan Transportation Commission. Pre-maintenance has been deferred. More LRVs must be purchased for the Central Subway.
Within the past six months the derailment rate has improved, with only one incident. There have been no incidents at 4th and King Streets.
6. Update on Passenger Service Reports: (Discussion/Action) David Hill
David Hill, Deputy Director, Rubber Tire Fleet, stated that missing buses are the result of operator unavailability, vehicle breakdowns, lack of additional buses and buses reassigned to other routes. While NextBus is an excellent tool, it is crippled by the antiquated radio technology utilized by Central Control dispatchers and inspectors. Due to the hiring freeze, vacancies are not being filled.
Chairman Downey stated that Muni routes suffer without bus service, but the 74x runs like clockwork carrying few passengers.
7. Rubber Tire Fleet Update: (Discussion/Action) David Hill
David Hill, Deputy Director, Rubber Tire Fleet, stated that supervisors and inspectors are sharing 20-year old trucks. The number of buses out of commission is increasing. Bus bridges, special events, and training significantly impact bus availability. There is no money for new vehicles and parts.
Mr. Hill stated that he wants the superintendents to focus on operator safety. He is putting together a safety class and establishing a safety team. Mr. Hill wants to drastically reduce overtime to eliminate driver fatigue.
Mr. Hill stated that rail and cable car openings are available on a seniority basis. He would like to see LRV and cable car requisitions open to new hires.
8. Staff responses for Recommendations and Information Requests: (Discussion/Action)
9. Committee Members' Questions/Information Requests and Review of responses: (Discussion/Action)
• Chairman Downey requested information about the SFMTA’s cost to provide Sunday-Funday.
• Chairman Downey requested information about monitor arrangements for bus substitution.
• Chairman Downey requested clarification on the instructions for using the Muni/Ferry pass on Muni.
10. Schedule Upcoming Meeting and Agenda Items:
11. Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 5:06 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by:
311 Free language assistance / 免費語言協助 / Ayuda gratuita con el idioma / Бесплатная помощь переводчиков / Trợ giúp Thông dịch Miễn phí / Assistance linguistique gratuite / 無料の言語支援 / 무료 언어 지원 / Libreng tulong para sa wikang Tagalog / คว“มช่วยเหลือท“งภ“ษ“โดยไม่เส’ยค่าใช้จ่าย