|SFMTA home > About Us > Public Notices and Meetings > Pedestrian Safety Advisory Council (PSAC) > PSAC July 13, 2010, Minutes|
Pedestrian Safety Advisory Committee
• $10 registered driver fee proposed. 25% of the fee would go to pedestrian safety infrastructure programs: 5 million dollars per year total, but this does not guarantee pedestrian safety funding each year as all of the funding could be allocated to any of the other two categories; Expenditure plan is for 30 years. The total amount of money devoted to pedestrian safety over 30 years is $37.5 million. SFCTA would conduct a strategic prioritization plan every 5 years and involve stakeholders in this plan.
• Competing proposal on the November ballot (State): Stop Hitting Taxes – Any fees would require a super majority vote; repercussion is that if it passes, it could negate SB83.
• Questions/Comments by PSAC Members:
o Question: Is there a follow up evaluation required?
§ SFCTA Answer: We look at performance measures in terms of project delivery.
o Question: If this additional funding stream does come into play, will it be applied to the projects that have already been prioritized?
§ SFCTA: We are still thinking about it.
o Question: Is this a different strategic plan than what currently exists for Prop K funding as far as feedback from the public?
§ SFCTA: Yes, it would be a separate process.
o Question: Is there a relationship you would like to have with the PSAC to help?
§ SFCTA: The process would likely be for us to present the plans to the PSAC and to get your feedback
§ John Lowell proposes to receive the documents that are related to SB83 and its plans in order to become more educated about the issue.
o Question: Are there any provisions to limiting any borrowed funds?
§ SFCTA: Funds from SB83 can be bonded against, but projects would have to meet the criteria. There is also a clause in both prop K and SB83 not to swap funds.
o Question: Can any of the funding go to education, health, encouragement?
§ SFCTA: All the funds for SB83 are for capital projects.
§ What does it mean to “minimize conflicts with other modes”?
• SFCTA: Make sure the project is streamlined with what will go on the roadway—that you are not benefiting pedestrians over bicyclists, when you could be benefiting both.
o Question: What type of plan of action do you have to make sure there is interagency coordination?
§ SFCTA: The 5 year plan will involve working with all of the agencies to make sure we are all working together?
o Question: How will you select what falls within each of the three categories?
§ SFCTA: There are basic criteria already drafted but more specific criteria would be developed depending on what decisions are made for implementation of projects.
o Question: Proposes that PSAC endorses SB83 on the ballot.
o MOTION PASSED: To meet for a special public PSAC meeting if the SFCTA places SB83 on the November ballot with the purpose of endorsing the bill.
• Item 4: SFMTA Report
• Available to the public at www.sfmta.com/walk
• July 15th – Valencia St, Ribbon Cutting
• Pedestrian Counting Project
o Working with SFCTA to develop an exposure model
• One pedestrian counter was stolen
o 5 counters currently out in the field
• Continental crosswalk conversions funded through Prop K – multiple locations identified and the crosswalks were installed
• Red zones are also being implemented to increase visibility of pedestrians stepping off the curb and into the crosswalk
• School Crosswalks—(funded through prop K) finishing 30 crosswalks identified
• Pedestrian Program reorganization within SFMTA; organizational chart demonstrated
o What are shark’s teeth?
§ Answer: Yield lines that are made of a series of triangles.
o When will the Better Streets Plan be considered for adoption by the Board of Supervisors?
§ Answer: Perhaps in the Fall.
• Taskforce Reports
• Report is still in progress.
• MOTION PASSED: To complete the PSAC’s State of Pedestrian Safety Report by September 14, 2010.
311 Free language assistance / 免費語言協助 / Ayuda gratuita con el idioma / Бесплатная помощь переводчиков / Trợ giúp Thông dịch Miễn phí / Assistance linguistique gratuite / 無料の言語支援 / 무료 언어 지원 / Libreng tulong para sa wikang Tagalog / คว“มช่วยเหลือท“งภ“ษ“โดยไม่เส’ยค่าใช้จ่าย