SoMa, Muni Metro subway, Bayview,
Excelsior District, Portola District, Visitacion Valley,
any other area with diagonal or curved streets.
Why this page exists
If you think of numbered streets in the South of Market (SoMa) area as running north-south, this page is for you.
- Actual orientation is the north-south-east-west you see on a map or on a
global positioning system
(GPS) device or smart phone.
- Logical orientation is the north-south-east-west you think of in your head as you travel along a street.
- In some neighborhoods, these two images may disagree with each other
- This issue of apparently illogical compass directions may also happen in various parts of the city where streets run diagonally or are curved.
||Actual street direction
||Logical street direction
||San Bruno Avenue
This sometimes forces this website to refer to a bus stop being on a west corner, or a mid-block stop being on the southwest side of a street. This can be confusing.
Therefore, when giving information about bus stops, this website will often provide logical compass directions in addition to the actual compass directions.
In the SoMa area, in actual compass orientation:
- Numbered streets, plus Fremont, Beale, Main, Spear and Steuart run northwest to southeast.
- Market, Mission, Howard, Folsom, Harrison, Brannan, Townsend and King streets run northeast to southwest.
- Bus stops are situated on north, south, east and west corners.
- Mid-block bus stops are situated on the northeast, northwest, southeast and southwest sides of streets.
- Muni Metro Subway stations from Embarcadero through Civic Center have actual northeast and southwest ends.
- Van Ness Station has northwest and southeast station agent booths.
- All information that is computer generated, e.g., 511.org trip plans, will only show the actual directions.
In the SoMa area, in logical orientation:
- Numbered streets, plus Fremont, Beale, Main, Spear and Steuart run from logical north to logical south.
- Market, Mission, Howard, Folsom, Harrison, Brannan, Townsend and King streets run logical east to logical west.
- Bus stops are situated on logical northeast, southwest, southeast and northwest corners.
- Mid-block bus stops are situated on the logical east, west, south and north sides of streets.
- The SFMTA may speak of Muni Metro Subway stations from Embarcadero through Civic Center having east and west ends.
- The SFMTA may speak of Van Ness Station having north and south station agent booths.
- No information that is computer generated, e.g., 511.org trip plans, will show logical directions.
Similar issues apply to other neighborhoods.
Note: Muni vehicles stop only at existing marked Muni stops. Reroutes over streets not normally served by Muni will operate non-stop over those streets. Exceptions to this policy, if any, would be noted above as "temporary stop."
call for more information
Links to SFMTA partner websites:
- Also on sfmta.com:
- Transit links:
- Sitewide links:
|Visit the 311 Self-service portal|