About Online Timetables
Muni timetables are provided online by the Bay Area Transit Information
Project at the 511
Transit Web site.
You can go directly to a route by entering sfmuni.com followed by a slash and the route number into your browser as the Web address or URL.
sfmuni.com/F will give you the F Market and Wharves
sfmuni.com/1 will give you the 1 California
sfmuni.com/38AX will give you the 38AX Geary A Express
C for the California Cable Car
PH for the Powell-Hyde Cable Car
PM for the Powell-Mason Cable Car
K-OWL for the K Owl
L-OWL for the L Owl
M-OWL for the M Owl
N-OWL for the N Owl
T-OWL for the T early morning bus service
Any line's timetable may be verified by calling the SF 311 information center.
About Holiday Schedules:
Muni runs Sunday schedules on the following holidays:
- New Year's Day, January 1
- Memorial Day, last Monday in May
- The 4th of July
- Labor Day, 1st Monday in September
- Thanksgiving Day, 4th Thursday in November
- Christmas Day, December 25
The 76 Marin Headlands Route runs on holidays that have Muni Sunday schedules. Cable Cars run all days of the year.
The SFMTA rarely may run Metro and historic streetcar schedules on a Saturday schedule on selected holidays listed above.
In past years, Muni has run the following service.
This information is subject to change:
- Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday: Saturday service.
- President's Day: Saturday service
- Columbus Day: Weekday schedules. No school trips.
- Veterans' Day: Weekday schedules. No school trips.
- Day after Thanksgiving Day: Weekday schedules. No school trips.
The 76 Marin Headlands Route does not run on holidays that have Muni Saturday or weekday schedules.
Check the specific alert for each holiday for details; the alert will typically be posted a few days before the holiday on the Transit Updates page. You may also call the SF 311 information center.
Limited and Express Service
- Limited buses operate on the 9, 14, 28, 38, and 71 routes, making
fewer stops and providing quicker service.
- In the printed timetable booklet, look for an L in the
- At transit.511.org, see the separate 9L, 14L, 28L, 38L, and 71L schedules.
- Express buses make stops in their areas of origin and then
run non-stop to their destinations.
express services run only on weekdays during morning and afternoon rush
hours in the rush hour direction.
- The 9X runs throughout the day on
weekdays and also runs on Saturdays.
- Express timetables are separate
from non-express timetables.
- In the printed timetable booklet, check the table of contents for the separate express timetables. Look for an X in the left column
of the printed express timetable.
- At transit.511.org, see the
separate express schedules, which are listed immediately before their same-numbered non-express route.
- Exception: The 16X express corresponds to the 71 local.
- A and B Expresses - Many of the express lines are divided
into A and B sections. On weekday mornings, the A and B expresses make
stops in their own sections and then travel nonstop to downtown, where
they make the same stops. In the afternoon, they make the return trip
from downtown to their respective areas. Look for an A or B
in the left column of the printed express timetable.At transit.511.org,
see the 1AX, 1BX, 8AX, 8BX, 31AX, 31BX, 38AX, and 38BX schedules.
About Timed-Transfer Connections
Certain evening and early morning connections, where indicated on timetables
by a footnote, are scheduled with a time overlap to assure that customers
can easily transfer from one line to another. For example, 43-Masonic
and 44-O'Shaughnessy service is scheduled to overlap at Forest Hill Station
in the evening and early morning hours.
Owl Night Bus Service
Late-night motor coach service running from 1:00 a.m. until 5:00 a.m. See our Maps page for Owl maps.
- T Third Street
Late night T Third Street service is provided by the 91 Owl.
- 5 Fulton
Late night 5 Fulton service is provided west of 7th Street only.
- 9 San Bruno
Late night 9 San Bruno service is provided by the 90 Owl.
- 24 Divisadero
Late night 24 Owl service only runs between Sutter and Bayshore. No service to Pacific Heights or the Bay View district.
- 28 19th Avenue
Late night 28 service is provided by the 91 Owl.
- 30 Stockton
Late night 30 Stockton service is provided by the 91 Owl.
- 38 Geary
Late night 38 Geary service runs on the Ocean Beach branch only. There is no service to Point Lobos and 48th Avenue or to Fort Miley.
- 47 Van Ness
Late night 47 Van Ness service is provided by the 90 Owl.
- 49 Van Ness/Mission
Late night 49 Van Ness/Mission service is provided by the 14 Mission on Mission Street and by the 90 Owl on Van Ness Avenue.
- Owl Service is also provided on the 14 Mission and 22 Fillmore routes along their normal routes.
- Owl Service is provided on modified routes on the 108 Treasure
Island Route and the N Judah and L Taraval lines as follows:
- The N Judah Owl bus makes all local bus stops on
Cole and on Fillmore, at all stops on Haight between Cole and Fillmore,
and misses the stop at Duboce Park. (Exception: these stop changes
are only until 5:15 a.m. on weekends; weekend service after 5:15
a.m. until start of Metro service runs as an express between Duboce
Park and Carl & Cole.)
- The L Taraval Owl bus makes all local bus stops on
Woodside and on Portola east of Woodside.
- Both the N Judah and L Taraval buses
serve island stops on Market Street.
- The 108 Treasure Island stops at the outside
stop in front of the Transbay Terminal instead of upstairs on the
ramp inside the terminal
Connections to regional Owl service are available.
The Trip Planner may not be able to plan some Muni Owl trips that begin before 4:00 a.m. and end after 4:00 a.m.
About School/Non-school Schedules
On certain lines, Muni operates either school-day or non-school-day service
depending on whether or not school is in session. School day service adds supplemental trips to non-school-day service.