|SFMTA home > Traffic > Trucks and buses > Trucks & Buses|
Truck and Bus Restricted Streets Map
Truck and Bus Restricted Streets Map (PDF), based on the Transportation and Police Codes.
Truck Route Map
Please note that these routes are strictly advisory and are not regulatory. The only places trucks are prohibited by regulations are shown in orange or red on the map. The routes in blue are taken from the San Francisco General Plan. Major and secondary arterials are also taken from the General Plan. Please feel free to offer comments for additions or changes to this map of suggested routes by calling the San Francisco 311 Customer Service Center.
Truck and Bicycle Co-Existence Etiquette
Extralegal Truck Permit Requirements in SF
An "extralegal" vehicle is defined as a vehicle whose overall dimensions/weight exceeds those as defined as a legal vehicle in Section 320.5 of the California Vehicle Code (CVC). This Section defines a legal vehicle as a vehicle under 8.5 feet in width, 65 feet in length, 14 feet in height and up to 34,000 lbs in weight on any one axle. Therefore, a vehicle traveling on City streets for any distance within the City requires an extralegal permit if one or a combination of the above dimensions/weight is exceeded. Extralegal vehicles are not allowed to travel on City streets during morning and afternoon peak hours. The fine for not possessing a permit or violating the permit conditions can be $1,000.
Please contact Cindy Shamban, of the Department of Parking and Traffic, at 415-701-4683 for an application and further information.
EXTRALEGAL VEHICLE PERMITS ARE GRANTED SUBJECT TO THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS:
1. The permittee shall provide one (1) pilot car for vehicle/load 12 ft. wide or over or 90 ft. long or over and an additional pilot car or flagperson if vehicle/load is 12 ft. wide or over and 90 ft. long or over.
2. The permittee shall install a slider or skidding board, when deemed necessary by the Department of Parking and Traffic, for any vehicle over 15' 6" in height when traveling on certain designated streets.
3. Prior to the move, the permittee shall drive the route to locate any turning and/or height obstructions.
4. The permittee shall comply with all the applicable requirements and restrictions stipulated in the CALTRANS Transportation Permit.
5. EXTRALEGAL WEIGHT MOVES ARE NOT PERMITTED ACROSS THE CHINA BASIN BRIDGES (one on 3rd Street and one on 4th Street ).
6. The permittee shall make the move under this permit, Monday through Friday, between the hours of sunrise and sunset excluding the peak traffic hours (7:00 AM to 9:00 AM) and (4:00 PM to 6:00 PM), unless otherwise permitted.
7. The permitte shall contact and make arrangements with the San Francisco Police Department (415-553-1195 or 415-553-1180) for any police-escort-required moves, i.e. "wrongway" moves, etc.
8. Prior to issuance of an extralegal load truck permit, the permittee shall provide a hard copy of an insurance certificate with Comprehensive or Business Automobile Liability Insurance--with limits not less than $500,000 for each occurrence, Combined Single Limit for Bodily Injury and Property Damage, including coverage for Owned, NonOwned and Hired Vehicles--as applicable and including as additional insured the City and County of San Francisco, its officers, agents and employees, providing 30 days prior written notice of cancellation, as required by the City and County of San Francisco, Department of Parking and Traffic.
9. By acceptance of this permit, the permittee agrees to compensate the City and County of San Francisco in full for all damage to property of the City and County of San Francisco or to public property under its jurisdiction, resulting from operations under this permit, regardless of negligence of the City and County of San Francisco.
10. By acceptance of this permit, the permittee agrees to indemnify, hold harmless and assume the defense of the City and County of San Francisco from and against any and all claims, demands, and actions for damages resulting from work under this permit, regardless of negligence of City and County of San Francisco.
11. The permittee shall provide 24 hour notice in advance, whenever possible, prior to issuance of the permit request.
311 Free language assistance / 免費語言協助 / Ayuda gratuita con el idioma / Бесплатная помощь переводчиков / Trợ giúp Thông dịch Miễn phí / Assistance linguistique gratuite / 無料の言語支援 / 무료 언어 지원 / Libreng tulong para sa wikang Tagalog / คว“มช่วยเหลือท“งภ“ษ“โดยไม่เส’ยค่าใช้จ่าย