How to get on the Taxi Medallion Waiting List
SFMTA Taxi Services will not be accepting applications to get onto the medallion waiting list until further notice.
How to become a Taxi Medallion holder
The SFMTA Taxi Services will send a medallion offer letter to the first person on the PC&N Waiting List when a Ramp or Regular/Alternative Fuel Medallion becomes available. The applicant should follow all instructions written on the medallion offer letter. All drivers who want to be considered must have fulfilled the Full-Time driving requirement*.
Applicants will be asked to fill out an application and submit additional documents including original waybills. These forms will be verified and checked for completeness and waybills will be counted. After the review, the medallion application will be investigated further. For the current application fee for a Ramp, Regular/Alternative Fuel Medallion, check the current Fee Schedule or contact the SFMTA Taxi Services 415.701.4400.
*Current SFMTA Taxi Services guidelines for a “Full-Time Driver” is defined in TC Section 1102(l) as any Driver actually engaged in, or the activity comprised of (respectively) the mechanical operation and physical charge and custody of a Taxi or Ramp Taxi which is available for hire or actually hired for at least 156 four-hour shifts or 800 hours, whichever shall come first. Additionally, to qualify for issuance of a taxicab permit, an applicant must have the driving experience as specified per TC Section 1104(c) (3):
SFMTA must determine that the applicant has been a Full-Time Driver during any four (4) of the following five (5) calendar years: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 or 2010. The driving requirement for the year in which the application is heard may be pro-rated from the date of application. This requirement may only be satisfied by driving a Taxi or Ramp Taxi for which a permit has been issued by the SFMTA. Only written Waybills completed in compliance with Section 1109(c) (5) may be used to establish eligibility for a Medallion for the purposes of this Section.
To qualify for a Ramped Medallion Permit, an applicant must meet the same requirements as an applicant for a Regular/Alternative Fuel Medallion Permit per TC Section 1104(c) (3). Additionally, per TC Section 1104(d) (1)-(6) The SFMTA shall not issue a Ramp Taxi Medallion to an applicant unless the applicant provides written documentation of the following requirements:
- The applicant has been a Full-Time Driver of a Ramp Taxi for at least 400 hours during the six months immediately preceding the hearing on the permit application,
- The applicant has completed at least 156 wheelchair pickups in the City as a Ramp Taxi Driver during the 12 months immediately preceding the permit hearing.
- The applicant has satisfactorily completed the 4-hour training for operation of a Ramp Taxi in compliance with SFMTA requirements.
- The applicant has been interviewed through a process approved by the Paratransit Coordinating Council.
- SFMTA certification of satisfactory aptitude and attitude necessary for a Ramp Taxi Medallion Holder.
- The applicant is affiliated with a Color Scheme in compliance with, and agrees to operate said permit at all times subject to, the regulations of the SFMTA Paratransit Program.