Free Muni for Youth Program

This program provides low and moderate income students 5 to 17 years old and residing in San Francisco free access to Muni.  The initial pilot program has been extended through June 30, 2016.  If your child is a current program participant, you do not need to reapply. The pass will continue to work on their existing Clipper card.   If their card has been lost or stolen please contact the Clipper Customer Service Center (1.877.878.8883).  Once your child is enrolled in the program they need not reapply. Their pass will continue to work until their expiration on their 18th birthday. The program will be extended to include 18 year olds beginning November 1, 2014.  Applications are now being accepted.


All San Francisco youth aged 5 to 17 with a gross annual family income at or below 100 percent of the Bay Area Median Income level are eligible for the program according to the chart below.

Household Size 100% Bay Area Median Income
2 $77,700
3 $87,400
4 $97,100
5 $104,850
6 $112,650
7 $120,400
8 $128,150

How to Sign-Up for Free Muni for Youth

If your child already has a registered youth Clipper card:

SFMTA Customer Service Center
11 South Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94103
ATTN: Youth Pilot Pass

If you child does not have a youth Clipper card, print and fill out the program application form, attach supporting documentation establishing proof of age, and mail or drop off the application at the SFMTA Customer Service Center (at the address listed above). You will receive your Clipper card loaded with the pass in the mail.

Request an application be sent to you in the mail by completing this online form

Important Note: All fields of the application must be completed and a copy of an approved document to verify age (for new Clipper card customers) must be attached. Applicant must be between the ages of 5 and 17 (children under 5 ride free) and a resident of San Francisco to participate in the program.

Please allow up to three weeks to process applications for existing Clipper card holders and up to five weeks for if a new card is needed.

Free language assistance is available by calling 311 within the city or 415.701.2311 outside of San Francisco.