For the 15th consecutive year, the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) will offer free rides on New Year’s Eve from 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 31 through 5 a.m. on Thursday, Jan. 1. Please do not tag your Clipper® card during the complimentary service. You will be charged if you do not have a valid pass.
At midnight, there will be a city-sponsored fireworks show from a barge off of The Embarcadero, south of the Ferry Building. Motorists should anticipate delays in the area from approximately 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. No closures or re-routes are planned. SFPD and SFMTA will monitor for any necessary re-routes.
New Year’s Eve Muni Service
- Please do not tag your Clipper® card during the complimentary service
- Complimentary Muni service 8 p.m., Dec. 31, to 5 a.m., Jan. 1
The following information is subject to change. Please check back.
- Muni Metro service between West Portal and Embarcadero stations extended to 4 a.m. and until 2:15 a.m. to 4th and King street
- Service on the F Market historic streetcar line is provided by buses after approximately 4 p.m.
- Extra Owl service (1 a.m. to 5 a.m.): 5 Fulton, 14 Mission, 22 Fillmore, 24 Divisadero, 38 Geary, 90 and 91 Owl and the L and N Owl bus routes.
- Extra 1-California Route service
- Inbound from 9:40 pm to 11:15 pm
- Outbound from 10:10pm to 1:40am
- Reroutes are not scheduled. The following routes will reroute only if needed.
- Downtown: 1, 5, 6, 9, 14, 14-Owl, 21, 31, 38, 59, 60, 61, 71, L-Owl, N-Owl, F, California Cable Car
- North Beach: 8X, 10, 12
- Cow Hollow: 45
- Castro: 24, 35
- Late night transit services will also be available from our regional transit partners: AC Transit, BART and SamTrans.