Geary Rapid Project Construction Forecast: August 24 - September 6
As part of the Geary Rapid Project, work to replace aging water and sewer lines on Geary Boulevard, in coordination with San Francisco Public Utilities Commission, continues. The next stage of work to replace water mains on Geary Street east of Van Ness Avenue has begun and is being coordinated with San Francisco Public Works.
The following two-week construction forecast is subject to change due to weather delays or unexpected field conditions. Note that no work is planned for Monday, September 2nd due to observance of Labor Day.
Masonic Avenue – Webster Street
Mondays through Fridays between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.:
- Sewer main replacement is planned for the weeks of August 26 and September 3 on the southside of Geary Boulevard between Steiner and Fillmore streets and at the intersection of Divisadero Street and of Scott Street. During active sewer work at Divisadero, the following bus stops are planned to be temporarily relocated. Look for “Board Here” signs nearby:
- Inbound/Outbound 24 Divisadero bus stops at Geary Blvd will be relocated slightly away from the intersection but remain on the same corners
- Connection of new water main pipes is planned for the weeks of August 26 and September 3 at Scott Street
- Installation of underground conduit for fiber optic cables is planned for the weeks of August 26 and September 3 between Lyon and Scott streets and between Fillmore and Webster streets. During active conduit work, the following bus stops are planned to be temporarily relocated. Look for “Board Here” signs nearby:
- Inbound 38 bus stop at Scott Street will be relocated slightly eastwards but remain on the same corner
- Inbound 38/38R bus stop at mid-block Fillmore-Webster will be relocated west to the corner at Fillmore Street
Van Ness Avenue – Polk Street
Mondays through Fridays between 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.:
- Water main replacement work is planned for the weeks of August 26 and September 3 on Geary Street between Van Ness and Polk streets
Some parking will be temporarily restricted in construction zones and traffic lanes will be modified during active work.
Questions or concerns? Contact us at GearyRapid@SFMTA.com or 415.646.2300.
Double Down for Double-Digit Ridership Growth: Muni Forward Turns Five
As part of both Muni Forward and Muni's Rapid Network, the Geary Rapid Project is already seeing positive results from the first set of transit and safety treatments that were implemented in 2018. These near-term improvements, including dedicated transit lanes and bus stop optimization, have improved reliability and travel time for 56,000 daily Geary bus riders. Preliminary data is showing travel time savings of up to 20%, with more savings expected after the project is complete. A recent survey of Geary bus riders also showed that a majority were supportive of the project, with over a third reporting riding more often than six months ago. Learn more about Muni Forward
The following 38/38R bus stops are planned to be temporarily relocated. These changes are part of work that is unrelated to the Geary Rapid Project.
- Saturday-Sunday, August 24 - August 25, 12:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.:
The inbound 38/38R Geary bus stop on O’Farrell Street at Grant Street will be temporarily relocated west to Stockton Street during utility excavation work.
- Monday-Saturday, August 26 - November 26, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.: The inbound 38/38R Geary bus stop on O’Farrell Street at Powell Street will be temporarily relocated to the other side of the intersection during utility excavation work.
- Mondays-Saturdays, August 12 - August 24, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.:
The outbound 38 Geary bus stops at Collins Street and Spruce Street will be temporarily relocated during utility excavation work.
- Mondays-Fridays, August 5 - August 30, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.:
The inbound 38/38R Geary bus stop on O’Farrell Street at Van Ness Avenue will be temporarily relocated west towards Franklin Street while work related to the Van Ness Improvement Project is performed.
To view a map of temporary bus stop relocations citywide, please visit: SFMTA.com/TempStopMap