L Taraval Improvement Forecast and Project Segment B Update August 14 - 26, 2023
Pulling rails to Taraval between 16th and 19th avenues on Monday, August 14 get more info about track Replacement on the L Taraval line.
In the coming weeks, track work continues with rail installation, and curb ramp work continues with demolition and grading areas in preparation for upgrading boarding ramps. Underground conduit work is being performed to power the new and existing streetlights and OCS poles. Water line and sewer line work continues adding conduits and connections. Construction teams will be excavating and jackhammering pavement, which may cause vibrations. Materials are also being temporarily staged nearby. Dust control and housekeeping measures are in place at active construction and staging locations.
Please note the following temporary bus stop changes:
- The inbound bus stop at Taraval and 15th has been relocated across the intersection until fall 2024.
- The 19th Avenue outbound L Bus stop will be temporarily relocated from the northeast corner to the northwest corner until September 15.
- The 17th Avenue inbound L Bus stop will be temporarily discontinued until September 15. Please use alternate stops at 15th and 19th.
General construction hours are Monday to Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Construction schedules are subject to change. “No Parking” signs will be posted in construction and staging areas, and intersections may be closed to through traffic on Taraval Street.
*Please be advised that the track work schedule may be impacted by material availability and coordination between agencies.
Areas of current track work:
16th to 19th avenues – track installation
22nd to 25th avenues – excavation and removing tracks
28th to 31st avenues - reconstructing foundation base
Please note the following impacts to travel during track work:
- By car: Taraval Street will be open to through traffic traveling east- and westbound, however, vehicles approaching from 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 22nd, 25th and 26th avenues will only be able to access Taraval Street by making right turns. At times, traffic may be stopped briefly to allow large machinery to perform work. Please allow extra travel time.
- By bus: The L Bus may be rerouted around the construction area when heavy equipment is present.
- On foot: Pedestrians will be able to cross Taraval Street in the construction area at 18th Avenue via a pedestrian access during non-construction hours and weekends.
Multiple agencies are performing infrastructure work in the area. This includes work by Public Works on 19th Avenue, Public Utilities Commission at Vicente and Wawona streets and PG&E along Taraval Street.
L Taraval Improvement Project – Segment B
Construction work is scheduled to be performed - August 14 – 26, 2023
- 15th Avenue intersection: water line work, backfill segment connection holes excavate and backfill
- 16th and 18th avenue intersections: water line work, chlorinate crossing
- 16th to 19th avenues: track work, pour track slab and track pavement, thermite welds, track jigs and fasteners, pour track slabs
- 19th and 22nd avenue: water line work, excavate, backfill service connections
- 22nd to 25th avenues: track work, set up traffic control, excavating, demolishing and removing rails, sawcut trackway, remove and grading trackway, install underground VT and VTS conduits
- 24th Avenue: perform segment connection hole and backfill segment connections
- 27th and 31st avenues: construct curb and sidewalk
- 28th to 31st avenues: track work, concrete slab pours, pavement
- 30th to 31st avenues: construct an ADA compliant platform
- 33rd to 34th avenues: water line work, perform and measure segment connections holes
- Ulloa to Taraval: sewer line work, excavating, installing sewer main
- 21st to 23rd avenues: assembled rail stored until installation
West Portal Substation: install traction, expected start August 21
Temporary staging locations
- 16th Avenue west side from Taraval to Ulloa streets
- 17th Avenue west side from Taraval to Ulloa streets
- 22nd Avenue west side from Taraval to Santiago streets
- Ulloa Street south side from 15th to 16th avenues