Church Street Transit-Only Lanes Pilot Project
As part of Muni Forward, SFMTA is implementing a pilot project to test Muni and Taxi Only lanes along three blocks of Church Street between 16th Street and Duboce Avenue. This project aims to reduce delays and improve service reliability for Muni’s J Church trains and 22 Fillmore buses by allowing Muni vehicles to bypass traffic congestion and access transit stops more quickly.
No upcoming meetings have been posted
No updates have been posted for this project
As part of Muni Forward, SFMTA is conducting a pilot project to test Muni and Taxi Only lanes along three blocks of Church Street between 16th Street and Duboce Avenue. The pilot was implemented in March of 2013 and is now in full effect.
The Church Street Transit-Only Lanes are designed to:
- Reduce transit delays in the most congested portion of the Church Street corridor
- Improve service reliability for the J-Church and 22-Fillmore
Adjustments implemented by the pilot include:
- Converting the center lanes of Church Street between Duboce Avenue and 16th Street into transit-only lanes
- Restricting transit-only lanes to transit vehicles and taxis only at all times
- Applying red paint to the entirety of the transit-only lanes to clearly indicate newly-implemented restrictions
- Redirecting all J trains and outbound 22 buses to run in transit-only lanes and stop at boarding islands within the pilot corridor
- Redirecting inbound 22 buses to also run in transit-only lanes and stop at boarding islands except for at Duboce, where they will stop at the curb
- Restricting left turns from Church Street at 15th and 16th Streets during weekday daytime hours (7:00 am to 7:00 pm).
Let us know how it's going!
The 5L Fulton Limited Pilot is helping us determine how to apply various enhancements in other corridors throughout San Francisco. Please let us know what you think by visiting www.tellmuni.com.
We will send you e-mail or SMS updates whenever the following are posted for the Church Street Transit-Only Lanes Pilot Project:
- Upcoming meetings
- Project updates