Ride with Care –COVID-19 Requirements for Muni Customers
COVID-19 has changed the way that we conduct our day-to-day lives, including how we ride Muni. The SFMTA is excited that we brought back much needed rail and bus service on August 22, 2020. We ask that you ride with care for fellow passengers and our operators by doing the following when riding Muni.
- Wear a face covering - Face coverings are mandatory for individuals 2-years and older when waiting for and riding Muni. Face masks must cover both your nose and mouth.
- Physically distance yourself from other riders when possible – Give others space when riding and do not attempt to board vehicles that are at capacity.
- Use contactless payment - Please consider using your Clipper Card or MuniMobile® to pay your fare. Doing so will help minimize risk to both yourself and our operators. Using your Clipper Card or MuniMobile® will also save you $0.50 off your adult fare.
- Make it a quiet ride - Onboard, customers are discouraged from talking, singing or other verbal activities that can cause droplets to be expelled as this has been known to contribute to virus spread.
- Keep your hands clean – Wash your hands before and after riding Muni and keep hand sanitizer handy.
- Don’t ride if you are feeling ill – Please refrain from riding Muni if you are feeling sick or feel you have been exposed to COVID-19. Testing sites and more information.
- Consider other modes of transit - While staying home is the best way to stop the spread of COVID-19, we understand that many people need to take trips outside their home. Help save space on Muni for essential workers and transit-dependent San Franciscans by considering if you can take a bicycle, shared mobility, walk or travel at less busy times before getting on Muni.
Together, we can continue to keep San Francisco moving. Visit our COVID-19 page for up-to-date information.