L Taraval Improvement Project - Segment B
Segment B Construction started in January 2022
Segment B improvements along the L Taraval line from Sunset Blvd. to 15th Avenue, and on Ulloa St. near West Portal. Construction is scheduled from early 2022 and last through the fall of 2024. The first phase of construction, Segment A (between Sunset Blvd. and 46th Avenue) was completed in July 2021 on time and within budget. The project is a multi-agency collaboration with the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission and San Francisco Public Works to upgrade and replace aging infrastructure that will continue to make improvements to make pedestrian crossing safer, increase accessibility, improve transit reliability for Muni customers, rehabilitate water and sewer infrastructure, and enhance landscaping along Taraval St.
Planned upgrades in the area include:
- Rail track and overhead line replacement
- Water and sewer line replacement
- Surface repaving
- Curb ramp upgrades
- Concrete boarding islands and pedestrian bulbs
- Traffic signals
- New trees and landscaping
To improve safety and reliability while retaining access to key destinations, the following permanent stop changes will be implemented as part of segment B:
- Taraval St. and 17th Ave. (eastbound) will be relocated from the near side to the far side of the intersection once the new island is constructed.
- 15th Ave. and Taraval St. (eastbound) will be removed once the boarding island at 17th Ave. is constructed
- Ulloa St. and Forest Side (westbound and eastbound) will be relocated to Ulloa St. and 14th Ave.
Over the course of the project, there will be five equipment staging locations previously identified during a series of community outreach in the fall of 2019. The planned permanent staging locations:
- Santiago St. between 22nd and 24th avenues
- 20th Ave. between Ulloa and Wawona streets
- Wawona St. between 21st and 23rd avenues
- 36th Ave. between Taraval and Ulloa streets
- Taraval St. between 12th and 15th avenues (center median)
What to Expect During Construction
Please see our project updates for construction and forecast updates found on the right
- Work hours are 8:00 am -5:00 pm Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm weekend **Subject to change based on construction work needs**
- Driving access in both directions
- Pedestrian access
- Local access (access to stores and residential homes) when streets and intersections are closed for work
- Traffic may need to be detoured when streets are closed for work
- Construction zones will be a few blocks at a time
- Bus shuttle service is planned during track replacement work. L Taraval Muni service will be available through a combination of bus and train throughout the entirety of construction.
The LTarval Improvement Project - Project Office
1444 Taraval Street
Office Hours Tuesday's 10:00 - 12:00 drop in and by appt
Stay up to date on project developments by visiting L Taraval Improvement Project updates and/or sign up for email or text updates.