L Taraval Improvement Forecast and Project Segment B Update July 31 - August 12, 2023
Pulling rails to Taraval between 16th and 19th avenues on Monday, August 14 get more info about track Replacement on the L Taraval line.
In the coming weeks, track work continues with rail installation, and curb ramp work continues with demolition and grading areas in preparation for construction of the new boarding ramps and to upgrade existing boarding ramps. Underground conduit work is being performed to power the new and existing streetlights and OCS poles. Water line and sewer line work continues adding conduits and connections. Construction teams will be excavating and jackhammering pavement, which may cause vibrations. Materials are also being temporarily staged nearby. Dust control and housekeeping measures are in place at active construction and staging locations.
Please note the following temporary bus stop changes:
- The inbound bus stop at Taraval and 15th has been relocated across the intersection until fall 2024.
- The 66 Quintara is being rerouted from 30th Avenue to 28th Avenue around construction until August 18. Please use alternate stops at 28th Avenue/Santiago and 28th Avenue/Taraval.
- The 30th Avenue inbound and outbound L Bus stops will be temporarily discontinued until August 18. Please use alternate stops at 28th and 32nd avenues.
- The 19th Avenue outbound L Bus stop will be temporarily relocated from the northeast corner to the northwest corner until September 15.
- The 17th Avenue inbound L Bus stop will be temporarily discontinued until September 15. Please use alternate stops at 15th and 19th.
General construction hours are Monday to Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Construction schedules are subject to change. “No Parking” signs will be posted in construction and staging areas, and intersections may be closed to through traffic on Taraval Street.
The track area along Taraval Street has been prepped for foundation pours and installation of new rails. Concrete slabs will be poured one block at a time starting at 28th to 29th avenues, 29th to 30th avenues, and 30th to 31st avenues beginning the week of July 17. Each block is expected to take about one week to complete. Expect no parking along the construction area. One side of the road may be briefly closed to traffic while cement trucks pour the concrete. After the curing is complete in the track area work will start on key stops, boarding islands and traffic signals.
Potholing is complete and preparations have begun for track work between 16th and 19th avenues. The middle of Taraval Street will be closed off and excavation will begin the week of July 31. Track work for 22nd to 25th expected to begin August 14.
*Please be advised that the track work schedule may be impacted by material availability and coordination between agencies.
Please note the following impacts to travel during track work:
- By car: Taraval Street will be open to through traffic traveling east- and westbound, however, vehicles approaching from 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 29th, 30th, and 31st avenues will only be able to access Taraval Street by making right turns. At times, traffic may be stopped briefly to allow large machinery to perform work. Please allow extra travel time.
- By bus: The L Bus may be rerouted around the construction area when heavy equipment is present.
- On foot: Pedestrians will be able to cross Taraval Street in the construction area at 30th Avenue via a pedestrian access during non-construction hours and weekends.
Multiple agencies are performing infrastructure work in the area. This includes work by Public Works on 19th Avenue, Public Utilities Commission at Vicente and Wawona streets and PG&E along Taraval Street.
L Taraval Improvement Project – Segment B
Construction work is scheduled to be performed - July 31 - August 12, 2023
- 15th Avenue intersection: water line work, excavate and backfill
- 16th to 19th avenues: track work, excavate, sawcut and demolish track, install prefabricated rebar, thermite welds, track jigs and fasteners, pour track slabs
- 16th to 19th avenues: rail pull from Wawona Street – transfer rails for installation anticipated August 9
- 17th and 19th avenues: intersection, install underground VTS and traffic signal conduits
- 19th and 22nd avenue: water line work, backfill
- 20th and 33rd avenues: water line crossing, back fill water line crossing
- 24th Avenue: perform segment connection hole and backfill segment connections
- 22nd to 25th avenues: trackwork expected start, August 14
- 27th and 29th avenues: construct curb and sidewalk
- 28th to 31st avenues: track work, concrete slab pours, pavement
- 30th to 31st avenues: construct an ADA compliant platform
- 33rd to 35th avenues waterline work, excavate, measure and backfill service connections, perform segment connections, measure and chlorinate line
- 15th Avenue: water line work, backfill perform segment connections
- Ulloa to Taraval: sewer line work, excavating, installing sewer main
- 21st to 23rd avenues: assembled rail stored until installation
West Portal Substation: install traction, expected start August 14
Temporary staging locations
- 14th Avenue west side from Ulloa to Taraval street
- 16th Avenue west side from Taraval to Ulloa streets
- 17th Avenue west side from Taraval to Ulloa streets
- 22nd Avenue west side from Taraval to Santiago streets
- 29th Avenue west side from Taraval to Santiago streets
- 33rd Avenue east side from Taraval to Santiago streets
- Ulloa Street south side from 15th to 16th avenues
Sign up for email and SMS project updates on the project page.