L Taraval Improvement Forecast and Project Segment B Update September 18 – 30, 2023
Business community resources
OEWD Announcements: Grants awarded up to $2,500 to bring Shared Spaces into compliance. Shared Spaces Equity Grant for Design Compliance: Apply for a Shared Spaces equity grant for design compliance | San Francisco (sf.gov)
L Taraval Improvement Project – Segment B September 18 – 30, 2023
In the coming weeks, track work continues with rail installation, and curb ramp work continues with demolition and grading areas in preparation for upgrading boarding ramps. Underground conduit work is being performed to power the streetlights and OCS poles. Water and sewer line work continues, adding conduits and connections. Construction teams will be excavating and jackhammering pavement, which may cause vibrations. Staging on Taraval Street between 12th and 14th avenues, community previously approved, is expected to be activated. The area will be used to store and weld rails. Materials are also being temporarily staged nearby. Dust control and housekeeping measures are in place at active construction and staging locations.
Please note the following temporary bus stop changes:
- The inbound bus stop at Taraval and 15th has been relocated across the intersection until fall 2024.
The following stops will be relocated during construction until October 18
- Taraval and 17th to Taraval and 15th
- Taraval and 19th to Taraval and 19th, NB 28 stop
- Taraval and 22nd to Ulloa and 22, SW corner
- Taraval and 30th to NW corner, 66 line stop
- Taraval and 32nd to Santiago and 32nd SW corner
- 15th and Taraval to NW corner
- Taraval and 19th to 19th and Taraval, (SB 28 stop)
- Taraval and 23rd to Ulloa and 23rd NE corner
- Taraval and 26th to NW corner
- Taraval and 30th to NW corner
- Taraval and 32nd to Ulloa and 32nd NE corner
General construction hours are Monday to Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Construction schedules are subject to change. “No Parking” signs will be posted in construction and staging areas, and intersections may be closed to through traffic on Taraval Street.
*Please be advised that the track work schedule may be impacted by material availability and coordination between agencies.
Areas of current track work:
16th to 19th avenues - constructing ADA compliant ramps
22nd to 25th avenues – track installation
28th to 31st avenues – street base, ADA boarding ramps and islands
31st to 34th avenues – excavation and removal
Please note the following impacts to travel during track work:
- By car: Taraval Street will be open to through traffic traveling east- and westbound, however, vehicles approaching areas with active track installation will only be able to access Taraval Street by making right turns. At times, traffic may be stopped briefly to allow large machinery to perform work. Please allow extra travel time.
- By bus: The L Bus may be rerouted around the construction area when heavy equipment is present.
- On foot: Pedestrians will be able to cross Taraval Street in the construction area at 18th Avenue via a pedestrian access during non-construction hours and weekends.
Multiple agencies are performing infrastructure work in the area. This includes work by Public Works on 19th Avenue, Public Utilities Commission at Vicente and Wawona streets and PG&E along Taraval Street.
- 16th, 17th, 18th,19th avenues: Curb ramp work, sawcut, demolish, install underground foundation, conduits, and adjust pull boxes, back fill and grade sidewalk, construct curb and gutter work
- 19th to 22nd avenues: track work: set up traffic control, excavating, demolishing and removing rails, sawcut trackway, remove and grading trackway, install underground VT and VTS conduits, right turns only at 29th, 21st and 22nd intersections (anticipated start late September early October)
- 20th to 21st avenues: water line work, excavate, measure and perform water line connections
- 22nd to 25th avenues: track work, set up traffic control, excavating, demolishing and removing rails, sawcut trackway, remove and grading trackway, install underground electrical conduits, perform alignments, install track jigs and fastener, pour track pavement, right turns only from 22nd, 23rd, 24th
- 23rd, 24th, 25th avenues: water line work, excavate, segment measure, connection holes
- 28th, 30th, 33rd avenues: water line work, excavate, measure and connect for water line connection crossing
- 28th to 29th and 30th to 31st avenues: construct an ADA compliant platform, boarding islands
- 31st to 34th avenues: track work, set up traffic control, excavating, demolishing and removing rails, sawcut trackway, remove and grading trackway, install underground VT and VTS conduits, right turns only at 32nd and 33rd intersections
- Ulloa to Taraval: sewer line work, construct main line
- 21st to 23rd avenues: assembled rail stored until installation
Permanent staging location
- Taraval between 12th and 14th avenues (expected 9/25/2023)
Temporary staging locations
- 14th Avenue west side from Ulloa to Taraval streets
- 16th Avenue west side from Taraval to Ulloa streets
- 22nd Avenue west side from Taraval to Santiago streets
- 24th Avenue east side from Taraval to Santiago streets
- 31st Avenue west side from Taraval to Santiago streets
- 33rd Avenue east side from Taraval to Santiago streets
- Ulloa Street south side from 15th to 16th avenues
Please sign up for email and SMS project updates on the project page.