Better Market Street Phase 1 Construction: Bike Detours
During Phase 1 construction on Market Street from 5th to 8th Streets, people on bicycles will need to avoid construction equipment, active construction work, debris and other construction impacts. Please use the temporary reroutes below.
We have made the following changes to the eastbound bicycle detour route:
- Added an additional turn-off of Market at 11th Street
- Extended the route along Folsom Street so it stretches from 11th Street to 2nd Street
- Eliminated the portion of the route on 3rd Street
- Added 2nd Street as the route to return to Market from Folsom Street
Eastbound bicycle traffic will still be detoured off of Market Street from 9:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. To allow easier morning commuting into downtown, work on along the eastbound bicycle lane will not begin until 9:30 a.m. Once work begins each morning, all eastbound bicycle traffic will be rerouted off of Market and through the revised detour outlined below:
- Detoured off Market at 11th Street - turn right onto 11th Street
- Left turn off 11th Street onto Folsom
- Continue along Folsom until 2nd Street
- Left turn off Folsom onto 2nd Street
- Continue along 2nd Street until Market
- Turn right onto Market and proceed eastbound
There are additional re-routes off of Market at 10th Street, 8th Street and 6th Street. All of these also direct cyclists to the detour route on Folsom Street.
There have been no changes made to the westbound bicycle detour route.
As a reminder, westbound bicycle traffic will be detoured off of Market Street from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. To allow easier afternoon commuting out of downtown, work on along the westbound bicycle lane will stop at 3:30 p.m. Once work begins at 7:30 a.m. each morning, all westbound bicycle traffic will be rerouted off of Market and through the detour outlined below:
- Detoured off Market at Ellis Street - turn a slight right onto Ellis Street
- Left turn off of Ellis Street onto Mason Street
- Right turn off of Mason Street onto Turk Street
- Left turn off of Turk Street onto Polk Street
- Right turn off Polk Street back onto Market and proceed westbound
There are additional re-directions off of Market Cyril Magnin Street, Taylor Street and Charles J Brenham Place. All of these also direct cyclists to the detour route on Ellis, Mason, Turk and Polk.
In addition to the official detour routes, which are marked in blue and orange, we've provided a few additional options for you to consider as well. These additional options are marked in yellow.
Cyclists are also encouraged to take alternative routes starting further away from the project area to avoid adding unnecessary travel time to their trips. For a full list of bicycle routes in the area, please see the SFMTA's bike network map.
For Better Market Street project information, questions or feedback: