FINAL UPDATE: Delay at Ocean and Jules has cleared. IB #KIngleside resuming service. (More: 12 in last 48 hours)

Residential Parking Permits (RPP)
Drive & Park
Business Permit
Residential Parking Permit
residential parking permit sign in potrero hill

To Renew your Permit(s) Apply for renewal online using the Account and PIN number provided on the renewal notice you received in the mail. Renewal notices are mailed 4 weeks before the area permit expires.
You will need to reapply for your permit (see below) if you have lost your renewal notice or PIN number.

New/Temporary Permits - Apply for a new permit online for new or temporary permits. 

All parking citations must be paid before a permit can be issued. Research outstanding citations on your vehicle(s) here

Residential Parking Permit Fees

Passenger Vehicle:

$170 Annual Fee  
$85 if permit area expires in less than six months 

$85 Annual Fee
$43 if permit area expires in less than six months

Permit Types:

Frequently Asked Questions

Permanent Residents

If you live in a residential parking permit area, a residential permit will exempt you from the posted time limit. Each address may purchase up to four permits, with the exception of areas AA, EE, AND HV which are limited to two. More information about the qualification requirements.

Apply for your Permit Online


Apply by mail - complete the application below:
PDF icon Residential Parking Permit Application
PDF icon 住宅小區停車許可證申請
PDF icon Solicitud de Permiso de Estacionamiento Residencial

Required documentation is listed on the application and on the requirements page.

If you are completing the payment process by US Mail service, your virtual permit will be activated when you receive your confirmation letter in the mail.

Permit Transfer

Visit this page for information on transferring your Residential Parking Permit (RPP) from an existing vehicle to a newly purchased vehicle, your plates were lost, or update SFMTA of your permanent license plate number for a newly purchased car.

New or Short-Term Residents and Visitors

Recently moved or need to update your vehicle registration with the DMV? Temporary permits are available. These may also be used for rental cars or visitors. One day and weekly permits can be purchased in advance of use. Each address may purchase up to 20 one day permits and a cumulative of 32 weeks of weekly permits per calendar year.

Apply for your Permit Online 


Apply by mail - complete the application below:
PDF icon Short-Term Residential Parking Permit
PDF icon Permiso de Estacionamiento Residencial de Corto Plazo
PDF icon 短期住戶停車證

Required documentation is listed on the application and on the requirements page.

Fees By Week

2 week $61 
4 week $87 
6 week $111 
8 week $144 

Fees for Daily Permits Based on the Number Purchased Per Calendar Year

1-5 permits $7 each permit
6-15 permits $9 each permit
16-20 permits $15 each permit

Business Owners

If you own a business in a residential parking permit area, a residential permit will exempt you from the posted time limit. Businesses may obtain one parking permit for a personal vehicle per postal address and up to three permits for delivery vehicles with commercial license plates. 

Shared office space with one common street entry is considered one business address. Only one Business Permit will be issued to those types of buildings, not one permit per business.

Permits are not issued to Dealer and Manufacturer plates. Vehicles with these plates are only meant to be parked on the business site. 

Apply for your Permit Online 


Apply by mail - complete the application below:

PDF icon Residential Parking Permit Application
PDF icon 住宅小區停車許可證申請
PDF icon Solicitud de Permiso de Estacionamiento Residencial

Required documentation is listed on the application and on the requirements page.

Medical and Child Caregivers

For residents who require home health care service, in home child care, or the employees of family childcare homes. One transferable parking permit for use by up to three license plates. 

Families providing proof of SFUSD Bus Paraprofessional Assignments living in an RPP area can receive a fully transferable Caregiver permit. 
Please send your application (there's no need to complete the license plate portion of the application as this permit can be shared amongst multiple vehicles), proof of address, and SFUSD Paraprofessional letter by mail. Contact SFUSD to receive this letter. 

Apply for your Permit Online - you will need to complete and upload the applicable affidavit application and affidavit below. 

Apply by mail - complete the application below
PDF icon Caregiver Application
PDF icon Medical Affidavit
PDF icon Childcare Affidavit

Required documentation is listed on the application and on the requirements page.


Schools who have purchased Teacher Permits in previous years:
Please log in to your account and order your permits.

Schools who haven't purchased Teacher Permit in the past:
Administrators of child care centers, pre-schools and K-12 schools located within Residential Permit Parking Areas may submit the required documentation to SFMTA Parking Department at

Requirements for obtaining educational institution permits:

  • Written request made on school letterhead that indicates the number of certificated teachers regularly employed at the school and the street address of the school.
  • For private K-12 schools, attach the current academic year Private School Affidavit, indicating the number of teachers employed at the school.
  • For private childcare centers and pre-schools, attach current year LIC 500 or Personnel Report and current license.

The number of permits each school is eligible for is dependent on the number of teachers regularly employed at the school and the number of un-restricted (no color curb or other restrictions) parking spaces available along the school’s street frontage. The Parking Team will make this assessment and inform the school of next steps for applying for permits.

Permits are valid for 12 months, expiring on September 30th of each year. 

Teacher Permit Fact Sheet


Residential parking permits for foreign diplomats residing in a consulate within a residential parking permit area. Permits are exclusively for consulate employees utilizing vehicles registered at the permit address. Vehicles with Diplomat or Consular plates issued by the U.S. State Department do not require a permit as they are exempt from residential parking area restrictions. Please call the SFMTA Customer Service at 415.701.3000 to speak with a customer service representative for more information on the requirements for this permit.

Active Military and Students

Permits are available for active military personnel on assignment and full time students enrolled at a higher education institution with San Francisco.

If you are a full-time student at a higher education institution within San Francisco and your vehicle is registered to another addressor, please provide certification from your registrar’s office of current full-time student enrollment (a student ID is not sufficient). Proof of residency, such as a current rental agreement (signed within the last 3 months), and current California vehicle registration are also required (the address on the registration may be an address outside of San Francisco, but must be a California address).

Sub-leases are accepted as proof of residency for students and active military. 

Apply for your Permit Online 

Visit the application information page or call the SFMTA Customer Service at 415.701.3000 for more information on the requirements for these permits.

Travel Nurses

Travel nurses on short term contracts are eligible to apply for Short Term Parking Permits if their residence is within an RPP area.

In order to apply please complete an applications and include:

  • Rental agreement or short term lease
  • Contract from Health Care employer stating:
    • Hospital you are contracted to work at
    • Start and end dates for employment


Apply for your Permit Online 


Apply by mail - complete the application below:
PDF icon Short-Term Residential Parking Permit
PDF icon Permiso de Estacionamiento Residencial de Corto Plazo
PDF icon 短期住戶停車證


Parking Meters

Residential parking permits exempt vehicles from the posted time limits on blocks in the RPP area it is issued for, indicated by the one- or two-letter permit area designation on the sign. In limited areas, permits also exempt vehicles from meter payment on blocks where “Except [Permit Area] Permits” signs are posted if the permit associated with the vehicle matches the permit on the sign. You can read more about these types of blocks on the Pay or Permit parking webpage. Permits do not exempt drivers from the requirement to move vehicles every 72 hours, paying on metered blocks that are not signed as Pay or Permit meters, or color curb restrictions such as Tow Away, passenger loading, or commercial loading zones.

Find Out More About Residential Parking Permit Areas

You can use the interactive map  to see if Residential Parking Permit regulations exist on your block. If you have difficulty using the interactive map, you can view this version or contact 311 (or 415.701.2311 outside of San Francisco) for assistance. Visit this page to learn more about extending RPP areas.

Apply for a Permit

  1. Complete the applicable application above. See below for permit expiration dates. 

  2. Proof of residency: A copy of the current vehicle insurance policy with the applicant’s name and permit address.
    Insurance policy may be shown in hard copy or on a phone app.

  3. California Vehicle registration: Registration must have the applicant's name and address where the permit is to be issued.

Applications may be submitted online, in person, or by mail to the SFMTA Customer Service Center at 11 South Van Ness Avenue, open Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Please ensure you have the proper documentation prior to submitting your application by mail or appearing at the SFMTA Customer Service Center. No parking permits will be issued to any vehicle with delinquent parking citations or an expired vehicle registration.

Residential Parking Permits are not available for any vehicle with a gross weight in excess of 6,000 pounds, or any trailer, trailer coach, utility trailer, or any other type of vehicle as defined in the California Vehicle Code, whether separate from or attached to a motor vehicle displaying a Residential Parking Permit.

Permit Expiration Dates



Limit Four (4) Permits Per Household

A maximum of four active annual residential permits may be issued to a single household (defined as a single mailing address, i.e. apartments on one building count as separate households) in all areas with the exception of areas AA, EE, and HV.

Areas AA, EE, and HV are limited to one permit per driver and a total of up to two permits per household.* Each driver must be listed on the vehicle's insurance policy.
Second permits will be issued to drivers if the second vehicle is a motorcycle. 

In special circumstances, you may request a waiver to this limit. Waivers for additional permits will be granted if there is available parking in the area and if there is an additional driver at the address. Each permit issued over the area limit is subject to being charged double the cost of an RPP permit. 

To request a waiver, send a written request to:

SFMTA Customer Service Center
11 South Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94103

Please include all relevant vehicle information and the reason you are requesting additional permits in your letter, and allow 10 business days for the SFMTA to review your request. Reasonable accommodations are considered.

Permit for a New Car

If you have purchased a new or used car and do not yet have your permanent license plates you can still apply for an annual permit. To apply, please submit the following documents online, by mail or in person to the SFMTA Customer Service Center at 11 South Van Ness Avenue, open Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

  1. Completed application (available at the top of this page)
  2. Proof of Vehicle Purchase – Purchase agreement or Temporary Registration
  3. Proof of Residency (please see above for requirements regarding insurance and California registration)

Your temporary permit (good for 90 days) will first be issued to the last 7 digits of your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). Once you have received your permanent plates and vehicle registration, email a copy of vehicle registration to so we can update our database with your new plate number. We will send you a confirmation email/letter that your virtual permit is now active. Failure to do so may result in being cited for Overtime Parking in an RPP zone.

Changing Addresses - Moving to a New Zone

If you are moving from one RPP zone to another you will need to purchase a new permit, not a transfer, for that area. The first step in applying is to update your vehicle registration and insurance to your new address. You can update your vehicle registration online via the DMV. Once this is complete, please complete the application above. Note: Changes made online are subject to verification.

Updating Your Registration Address

Your vehicle must be registered and insured at the application address. Please visit the DMV website to change your registration address. Please allow 2-3 business days for the DMV system to update before applying for your permit. 

Once you have changed your address with the DMV online, please call SFMTA to confirm the registration address change before applying in person or online: 415.646.2500. Once confirmed, you can present or upload any registration card you may have.

Please note: Leased vehicles may require updating the registered address at a DMV office or by mail

Driveway Parking

Residents may block their own driveway by parking parallel to the curb or street, only if the vehicle’s license plate is registered to the building’s address, and if the building has two or fewer units. If the vehicle fits within the curb space then you do not need a parking permit, however, if any portion of your vehicle crosses the curb space then you need a permit. 

More information on how to park legally

License Plate Recognition Enforcement

The SFMTA has transitioned RPP time limit enforcement to License Plate Recognition (LPR). With LPR technology, enforcement vehicles read license plate numbers as they drive through neighborhoods, checking in real time if vehicles have a permit. Any vehicle without a permit is flagged by the LPR system. A Parking Control Officer will verify that a vehicle has violated the parking rules before issuing a citation.

Physical sticker permits will no longer be issued. Instead, all standard RPP permits will be assigned to vehicle license plates virtually. Caregiver, City Business, Contractor, Short Term, and Teacher permits will continue to be physical permits

Privacy Protections

SFMTA policies regarding the use of LPR technology for parking enforcement is in full compliance with state and local laws on the use of surveillance technology. All images obtained through the LPR system, with the exception of those associated with a violation, are automatically purged after seven days. Images associated with a violation will be purged after 365 days. Access to images will be limited to authorized vendor support staff and SFMTA employees for the purpose of citation processing, payment and review.

Shared Electric Mopeds:
Shared electric mopeds (such as those operated by Revel) bearing a Shared Electric Moped Parking Permit are exempt from RPP time limits.