Director of Transportation Report: September 3, 2019
Friday, September 13, 2019
In this week’s Director’s Report from the SFMTA Board of Directors meeting, Tom Maguire gave the following updates:
Chase Center Update:
- We’ve added special event express bus service to the 16th Street Mission BART Station (78X) and down Van Ness Avenue (79X) beginning 2.5 hours before the start of any Chase Center event and for 30 minutes afterward.
- Up to 26 Parking Control Officers will be supporting transit in the area, focused on transit priority, traffic control, parking and curb enforcement, and safety.
- And we are committed to making sure that other parts of the city, including Bayview-Hunters Point and Visitacion Valley continue to receive the transportation services they need.
Cable Car Repairs:
- Beginning Friday, Sept. 13, Cable Car will undergo the last phase of the Gearbox Rehab Project, which will shut down all cable cars for approximately 10 days.
- During the shutdown, bus shuttles will serve all cable car stops following all three cable car service lines, the Powell-Hyde, Powell-Mason and California.
- The Hyde gearbox requires a systemwide bus substitution because all cable cars use this particular cable line to access the Cable Car Barn located at the corner of Mason and Washington streets, home base for the entire division.
L Taraval Improvement Project:
- After hearing community concerns about the staging of equipment for the L Taraval Improvement project, the SFMTA polled the community on their preferred staging layout plan. More than 50 percent of the community voted to retain more parking by reducing one southbound traffic lane on the lower Great Highway between Ulloa and Santiago and detouring northbound traffic to 48th Avenue for the two blocks. SFMTA is pursuing this option, which reduces the need space for equipment staging from 96 to only 16 parking spaces.
- During the project, bus substitution will be in place and some Muni stops will be relocated to accommodate construction.