Shop Local, Shop West Portal
With Twin Peaks Tunnel Improvements underway, we wanted to make sure everyone knows that West Portal businesses are still open. There are a lot of fun things to do there even if you have to take a shuttle instead of your usual train. Complete with the fog and glimpses of the ocean, this stretch of shops and restaurants represent the essence of classic San Francisco. Here is a list of some of the things you can do when your shuttle drops you off in the middle of this fun area full of good eats, galleries, toy stores and other attractions:
- Catch a movie at one of the coolest theaters in town. The CineArts at the Empire is a big hit with the locals and offers a fun, intimate experience for moviegoers.
- Enjoy some of the best Indian cuisines at Roti. Their award-winning chefs prepare both traditional and contemporary Indian fare.
- Check out the Goodwill Boutique, this is one of the trendiest places in the city for vintage clothing.
- Something for the kids? A new spot to have some fun could be the West Portal playground. In the backyard of all the shops, restaurants, and clothing stores is a great place for families to stretch their legs and make new friends.
- Grab a bite to eat at Calibur, this place is known for delicious burgers and shakes. If you haven't tried them, you don't know what you are missing. Locally sourced, organic and did I mention delicious.
- Thirsty? The Philosophers Club will serve you up a proper cocktail. One of the most unique spots in West Portal, it’s a trusted bar that has stood the test of time.
With so many great things to do and see on just the first block of West Portal Ave, here are some others to check out: Peek-a-Boo Factory, Eazy Freezy Market, Mozzarella Di Buffala Pizzeria, McCarthy’s Irish Bar, Submarine Center and Squat & Gobble.
To help the neighborhood during this project, we have an office at 45 West Portal Ave in the Barbagelata Real Estate office, open Tuesday 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. and Thursday 12 p.m. - 2 p.m. We have open for business and way-finding signs, added custom pedestrian barricades to keep people safe and maintain visibility. We are also working with the merchants association to develop a merchant directory, logo and long-term advertising campaign that will boost the visibility of the corridor long after the construction has finished.