Free Muni for People with Disabilities
New applications for the RTC Discount ID card are being accepted at the SFMTA Customer Service office at 11 South Van Ness during the following times: Monday - Friday from 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. Please bring a completed application with you for your visit.
You can apply online to renew or request a replacement RTC Discount ID card. All fees associated with renewing or replacing your card online will be waived for San Francisco residents ONLY.
You can also download and mail a Renewal or Lost Card paper application to receive a new card. You will be required to pay any fees if you submit your application through the mail. If you have any questions, please call 415.646.2224 during the following times: Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
This program provides low and moderate income people with qualifying disabilities residing in San Francisco free access to Muni services, including cable cars, when using a Clipper card.
All San Francisco residents with disabilities with a gross annual family income at or below 100 percent of the Bay Area Median Income level are eligible for the program according to the chart below.
|Annual Household Income
People with disabilities need a registered Regional Transit Connection (RTC) to apply for the Free Muni program.
If you have a registered RTC card:
- Fill out the program application online
- OR mail or drop off a completed paper application
- SFTMA Customer Service Center: 11 South Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94103
If you do not have a valid registered RTC card, you need to do the following before applying:
Visit the SFMTA Customer Service Center to apply for an RTC card. This office located at 11 South Van Ness Ave, San Francisco, CA 94103. Applications accepted Monday-Friday 8am-5pm. Phone (415) 646.2224.
When applying for your RTC card you will need:
Valid government issued photo identification
Ability to establish eligibility; one of the following:
- Medicare card - Federally issued red, white and blue card (NOT Medi-Cal)
- Original California DMV Placard registration parking placard receipt
- Other transit agency or visitor card issued to you by another California transit agency
- Proof of Veterans Disability - Original VA Certification letter for a service-connected disability with a combined rating level of 50% or higher.
- RTC Medical Eligibility Form signed by a licensed professional, Medical Eligibility Forms are available in person from your local Transit Agency RTC processing location, or you can request that one be mailed to you.
- Pay the appropriate fee
Important Note: Illegible or incomplete applications will not be processed.
Please allow up to three weeks to process applications for existing RTC card holders and up to eight weeks if a new RTC card is needed.
Lost/Stolen RTC cards: Visit the SFMTA Customer Service Center located at 11 South Van Ness Ave, San Francisco, CA 94103. Applications accepted Monday-Friday 8am-5pm. Phone (415) 646.2224. A $3 processing fee applies to all replacements applications.
Free language assistance is available by calling 311 within the city or 415.701.2311 outside of San Francisco.
Transit Citation Dismissal
If your application is accepted, your last transit citation issued within 30 days of enrollment is eligible for dismissal. Please provide a citation or ID number from the citation when applying.
Questions About Your Application
You can request an application be mailed to you by completing an application request form.