Free Muni for People with Disabilities
This program provides low and moderate income people with qualifying disabilities residing in San Francisco free access to Muni services when using a Clipper card.
If your card has been lost or stolen please contact the Clipper Customer Service Center (1.877.878.8883) for a replacement.
All San Francisco residents with disabilities with a gross annual family income at or below 100 percent of the Bay Area Median Income level are eligible for the program according to the chart below.
|Household Size||100% Bay Area Median Income|
People with disabilities need a registered Regional Transit Connection (RTC) to apply for the Free Muni program.
If you have a registered RTC card:
11 South Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94103
ATTN: FREE MUNI
You will receive notification in the mail when the pass has been successfully uploaded electronically to your RTC card.
If you do not have a valid registered RTC card, you need to:
Visit the SFMTA RTC Discount ID Office to apply for an RTC card. This office is located at 27A Van Ness Avenue (at Market), San Francisco, CA 94102. Applications accepted Monday-Wednesday, 10:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Phone (415)252-3291.
When applying for your RTC card you will need:
Valid government issued photo identification
Ability to establish eligibility; one of the following:
- Medicare card - Federally issued red, white and blue card (NOT Medi-Cal)
- Original California DMV Placard registration parking placard receipt
- Other transit agency or visitor card issued to you by another California transit agency
- Proof of Veterans Disability - Original VA Certification letter for a service-connected disability with a combined rating level of 50% or higher.
- RTC Medical Eligibility Form signed by a licensed professional, Medical Eligibility Forms are available in person from your local Transit Agency RTC processing location, or you can request that one be mailed to you. For more information on the Eligibility Criteria visit http://511.org/transit/accessibility/eligibility
- Pay the appropriate fee
Once you have received your RTC card, you can either:
Important Note: Illegible or incomplete applications will not be processed.
Please allow up to three weeks to process applications for existing RTC card holders and up to eight weeks if a new RTC card is needed.
Request an application be sent to you in the mail by completing the Free Muni Inquiry.
Lost/Stolen RTC cards: Visit the SFMTA RTC Discount ID Office, 27A Van Ness Avenue (at Market), San Francisco, CA 94102 to fill out a replacement card form. A $5 fee applies to all replacement cards. Hours: Monday-Wednesday, 10:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Free language assistance is available by calling 311 within the city or 415.701.2311 outside of San Francisco.
Questions About Your Application
Complete this form to ask a specific question about your Free Muni application.