Federal Mask Mandate Details 2021.06.30
To: San Francisco Taxi Drivers, Color Scheme Managers and Medallion Holders
Please be advised that current CDC guidelines still require that face masks be worn on public transportation conveyances. Taxis are considered public transportation conveyances.
Until these guidelines change, Taxi drivers are required to wear a face covering while transporting a passenger. Passengers are also required to wear masks upon entering a cab and while being transported.
To comply with this requirement, all San Francisco color schemes and medallion holders must:
- Install stickers on all taxis in operation. There must be one sticker on the exterior and one on the interior of the taxi visible to passengers. These stickers are available from SFMTA at no cost. Please contact your color scheme manager to request stickers.
- If you are a driver and encounter a passenger who refuses to wear a mask, please contact your dispatch for instructions.
- Dispatch Service Permit Holders who receive reports of passengers who refuse to wear a mask must inform SFMTA by email to SFTaxi@sfmta.com and indicate the date, time and medallion involved.
A properly worn mask:
- Completely covers the nose and mouth of the wearer
- Is secured to the head, including with ties or ear loops
- Fits snugly against the side of the face.
Masks do not include face shields and should be a solid piece of material without slits, exhalation valves, or punctures. Under the federal mandate, face coverings like scarves and bandanas do not meet this requirement.
Philip Cranna, Enforcement and Legal Affairs Manager
Taxis, Access and Mobility Services