Plastic Shielding Requirement - COVID-19 Response
TO: San Francisco Taxi Drivers, Color Scheme Managers and Medallion Holders
Over the past ten months, the SFMTA has made plastic shields available to Color Schemes for free to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. In order to strengthen our efforts to help stop the spread of COVID-19, all vehicles operating as San Francisco taxis must have a protective plastic
shield installed between the front and rear seating areas.
Starting April 15, 2021, any operational taxis without a plastic shield are subject to citation for violation of 1105(a)(7).
This memo is in effect until further notice.
To comply with the plastic shield requirement, all San Francisco Color Schemes and Medallion Holders must:
- Install plastic shields on all taxis in operation.
- The shield must separate the rear seating area from the front seating area.
- The shield must allow passengers to access the Passenger Payment Device in the rear seating area.
- The shield must allow Paratransit customers to hand their card to the driver as required by SF Paratransit.
- The shield shall not impede access to safety equipment such as seatbelts.
To the extent feasible, based on limited supplies, the SFMTA will provide plastic shielding to Color Schemes for distribution and installation into affiliated vehicles. Should the SFMTA cease to be able to provide the Color Schemes with plastic shields, Color Schemes and Medallion Holders are responsible for procuring and installing shields for all taxis in operation.
If you are a Driver or Medallion Holder and need a plastic shield, please contact your Color Scheme manager. Color Schemes should forward requests to the SFMTA.