Public Hearing Notice: Hyde Street Transit Lanes August 2023
The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency will hold an online public hearing on Friday, August 18, 2023, at 10:00 AM.
The purpose of this online public hearing is to get public feedback on proposed street changes, including the proposal to install a transit lane on Hyde Street between McAllister and Market streets in the Tenderloin. Some parking on the west side of Hyde Street would be removed to make room for the transit lane on these two blocks.
Map showing where the transit lanes would be installed.
This section of Hyde Street is one of the busiest transit streets in the city, connecting six bus routes to BART, the North Bay, and the SoMa, Potrero Hill and Bayview neighborhoods. At the busiest times of day, buses run every 4 minutes here, including routes that are critical to neighborhoods with high percentages of people of color and low-income households.
Additional improvements on Hyde Street will be proposed as part of the Hyde Street Quick-Build project, which will be brought to public hearing later in the year after additional public outreach and design work is completed.
Parking and Traffic Legislation Proposals
Hyde Street between McAllister Street and Market Street – Transit Only Lanes
28(a). ESTABLISH – TRANSIT ONLY LANE
- Hyde Street, southbound, between McAllister Street and Market Street (Requires approval by the SFMTA Board)
28(b). ESTABLISH – TOW-AWAY NO STOPPING ANY TIME
- Hyde Street, west side, between Fulton Street and Grove Street (removes 4 yellow metered spaces) (Requires approval by the SFMTA Board) (Supervisor Districts 5 & 6)
This proposal to implement a transit lane on the west side of Hyde Street between McAllister Street and Market Street to enhance transit operations is pending environmental clearance by the Planning Department.
How to Provide Public Comment
Public feedback about this proposal can be shared in the following ways:
- Participate online on Friday, August 18, 2023, at 10:00 AM by visiting SFMTA.com/EngHearing
- To join by phone, please dial 415.523.2709 and enter conference ID 396 848 05 #
- Send an email to Sustainable.Streets@SFMTA.com with the subject line “Hyde Street Transit Lane Public Hearing” by the end of the day of the public hearing
For more information about the public hearing, please visit SFMTA.com/Engineering.
About this Online Engineering Public Hearing and Next Steps
- No decision will be made about the proposals while the online public hearing is live.
- All comments will be reviewed by project staff and the hearing facilitator and will be entered into the public record.
- Comments will be considered by the SFMTA Board of Directors at a future meeting before a decision is made.
California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) Appeal Rights under S.F. Admin. Code Chapter 31: These items are pending environmental clearance by the Planning Department. If the Planning Department issues a CEQA exemption determination or negative declaration, which may be viewed online at www.sf-planning.org/ceqa-exemptions-map, action by the SFMTA Board of Directors shall constitute the Approval Action for the project. Following approval of the item by the SFMTA Board, the CEQA determination (if a CEQA exemption determination or negative declaration is issued), is subject to appeal within the timeframe specified in S.F. Administrative Code Section 31.16, typically within 30 calendar days of the Approval Action. For information on filing a CEQA appeal, contact the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors at City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, Room 244, San Francisco, CA 94102, or call (415) 554-5184. Under CEQA, in a later court challenge, a litigant may be limited to raising only those issues previously raised at a hearing on the project or in written correspondence delivered to the Board of Supervisors or other City board, commission or department at, or prior to, such hearing, or as part of the appeal hearing process on the CEQA decision.