Powell Street Pilot approved
On Tuesday, November 2, the SFMTA Board of Directors approved the Powell Street Safety and Sidewalk Improvement Pilot. This pilot aims to improve safety for people walking along Powell and free cable cars from traffic congestion in the area.
What this means:
- Powell Street between Ellis and Geary will be closed to through traffic during the 18-month pilot.
- The street will be painted red on both sides of the block between Ellis and O’Farrell, and on the northbound side only between O’Farrell and Geary.
- Non-commercial vehicles are never allowed on the red painted lanes.
- For southbound Powell between O’Farrell and Geary, the street will not be painted red, but through traffic is prohibited from driving on this block.
- Vehicles that proceed south on Powell through the Geary intersection without stopping to pick up or drop off passengers could get a ticket.
Stay tuned for more information on implementation.