Safety Improvements Installed March 2016
The city is not waiting to complete the full reconstruction of Second Street Improvement Project to begin improving safety along the corridor. As part of San Francisco’s Vision Zero goal to eliminate traffic deaths, the SFMTA is implementing key safety enhancements this month.
In March 2016, the SFMTA will paint new bike lanes on Second Street between Market and Howard streets and restrict left turns from Second Street onto Mission, Folsom, and eastbound Harrison streets. Redirecting left turners increases safety on this high-injury corridor by reducing conflicts between turning drivers and people crossing the street.
Other street improvements coming this spring include:
- A new northbound bike lane between King and Townsend streets
- New right-turn lanes at the Mission and Howard intersections
- Relocation of some loading zones onto side streets
- High-visibility crosswalks across alleys
- Green “sharrow” markings along the corridor from Howard Street to King Street
Below is a map of the new safety improvements. Also online is a map of the alternative routes to the Bay Bridge from locations on 2nd St. north of Harrison St.