Twin Peaks Tunnel Weekend Closure: April 15-16, 2023
SFMTA will close the Twin Peaks Tunnel between Castro and West Portal stations from 8 a.m. on Saturday, April 15, through midnight on Sunday, April 16, to complete a detailed ceiling inspection. During the closure service for the K Ingleside, M Ocean View, and L Taraval Bus will be modified.
As part of our ongoing Twin Peaks Tunnel Inspection Project, SFMTA will complete a detailed structural inspection of the over two-mile-long Twin Peaks Tunnel. The inspection will require close up, in-person visual inspection as well as non-destructive testing.
This work requires significant preparation including de-energization of the overhead lines, shutdown of the track, staging of tools and equipment, mobilization of trackside equipment, and up-close inspection of the tunnel ceiling that will be performed during non-revenue hours. Multiple teams will work around the clock to complete the work. Further inspections will be scheduled at a later date and may also require service changes.
Note: Be sure to receive Muni service alerts via email or text by signing up through our Email and Text Subscriptions page.
Transit Service Plan
- Forest Hill and West Portal stations will be closed.
- K, L and M buses will operate:
- K Bus and M Bus will run between Church Station and Balboa Park Station.
- L Bus will run between Church Station and the zoo.
- Riders traveling downtown can transfer to a Shuttle train at either Castro or Church stations.
- S Shuttle trains will run between Castro and Embarcadero stations.
- Riders traveling beyond Castro Station will need to transfer to a K, L or M Bus at either Church or Castro stations.
- J Church, N Judah, and T Third Street trains will operate regular service.
- Next Muni predictions will be operating to provide arrival information to riders.