Apply for a Temporary Street Closure - Special Events

If you or your organization would like to close one or multiple San Francisco city streets for a neighborhood block party, street fair, athletic event, etc., you must formally apply to the Interdepartmental Staff Committee on Traffic and Transportation (ISCOTT).

Applications are due at least 90 days in advance of the event for street fairs and a minimum of 30 days in advance for all other events, including block parties.

If you are seeking a street closure in order to perform construction, please see Construction Regulations and visit SF Public Works for the applicable permits.


neighborhood block party is a one block closure in a residential neighborhood. The closure should not block or affect intersections or impact Muni service, and should be sponsored by a neighborhood organization or individual who lives on the block to be closed.  For all other closures, please see the Street Closure procedures section below.

To apply for a neighborhood block party, please see the following documents:

Please note that the permit for a block party is just to close the street and does not change other City regulations. Additional permits may be required depending on activities at your event, including:

If you are planning any activities, please make sure to note it on your application - your permit is only valid for the activities and plan as approved at ISCOTT. Inflatable structures (e.g. bouncy houses) no longer require a temporary occupancy permit as long as there is no staking, drilling or excavation required; please make sure to confirm this with the vendor.

Please be aware that Open Container laws still apply during a permitted street closure; unless approved by SFPD and permitted by the ABC, alcohol should not be consumed in public spaces.

Apply for SPECIAL EVENT Street Closure PERMIT

Here are the forms you need when applying for a street closure*:

If your event crosses into other jurisdictions (i.e. Recreation and Parks, San Francisco Port, Presidio Trust, National Park Service, etc.) you may be required to obtain additional permits from the appropriate agency.  Please coordinate with all required agencies on multi-jurisdictional events.

There are additional requirements for participant athletic events: Athletic Event Application Supplement

Please make sure to read all requirements and permit restrictions within these attachments and in the related information below. Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.

A complete application will include:

  • Signed Application Form
  • Application Fee
  • Event Site Plan
  • Write-up of event including:
    • Waste Management Plan
    • Water Plan
    • Security Plan
    • Outreach Plan

*NOTE: Application materials are updated annually with new policies; please do not re-use past application forms.

Street Closure Information

Full application packets will include a signed application, map of event, detailed write-up and description of event, and payment. Please look over the submission checklist for other requirements specific to your event. 

Applications are due a minimum of 30 days prior to the event. ISCOTT hearings are normally held on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month. (Due to holiday conflicts, there is no hearing on the 4th Thursday in November, and December hearings are held on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays.) Complete applications - with payment - must be received at least 2 weeks prior to the hearing to be placed on the agenda.

Payment Options

Payment must be made by check or money order only. Cash and credit card payments are not accepted. Make check or money order payable to San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA). Payments can be mailed with applications or made in person to:

Attn: Temporary Street Closures
One South Van Ness Avenue, 7th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103-5417

Business hours are Monday through Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

LINKS and Resources for Street closures

  • All closures must replace any blue zone parking removed as part of their closure as well as create a space for each block closed. For more information, please see Temporary Blue Zone Parking
  • Bottled Water Ban: On January 20th, 2017, the City's Environment Code was amended to restrict the sale or distribution of packaged water on City property. For more information, please see


If you are seeking a street closure in order to perform construction, please see Construction Regulations.

For further information about temporary street closures, please contact Shanna Hurley at or 415.646.2566