Become a Muni Operator
Jump-start your career in transportation -- become a Muni Operator. Whether you're driving Muni's fleet of buses, trains, historic streetcars or world-famous cable cars, as a Muni Operator you're playing an important role in San Francisco. Interested in a job with excellent benefits, great compensation and a sense of civic pride? Apply!
Application Window for 9163 Transit Operator:
Due to the Public Health Ordinance regarding COVID-19 and social distancing guidelines, please be advised that the Transit Operator recruitment schedule that is typically found on this page has been suspended until further notice. We do not expect a new recruitment until early 2021.
We will update this page and our Transit Operator hotline (415.701.5656) when more information is available. We recommend using the link below to sign up for notifications so that you are emailed by our system the next time this opportunity is open for applications.
- Full details for our 9163 Transit Operator Recruitment Schedule
- Full Transit Operator job description
- Signup for notifications for the 9163 Transit Operator
Do You Have What It Takes to Drive for Muni?
Qualities We're Looking For in a Muni Operator:
- 21 and over
- High School Graduate or GED-holder
- Customer Experience and Safe Driver
- Good Driving Record
- No Convictions
Required DMV Certifications:
- Class C Driver License
- Ability to Obtain School Pupil Activity Bus (SPAB) Certificate
- California Class B Commercial Driver License Permit (not required at time of application, but must obtain before training/hiring)
Muni Operators Enjoy:
- 9 Weeks of Paid Operator Training
- Great Salary, Health Insurance, Retirement, Educational Benefits
- Opportunities to Grow a Career
- Pride in Serving the Public
The Hiring Process Includes:
- Civil Service Examination
- Fingerprint and Background Check
- Medical Exam
- Drug Screening
- California Class B Commercial Driver License
- Submit DMV Proof of Clean Driving Record
- Job Interview