The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) is committed to operating its programs and services in a manner that is accessible to all people.
If you believe you have been excluded from, denied the benefits of, or been subjected to discrimination due to your disability while using any SFMTA services, you are encouraged to report it to the SFMTA.
Reporting an Accessibility or American's with Disabilities Act (ADA) Related Complaint involving Muni Operations
For accessibility related complaints, or complaints regarding a possible ADA violation which involve a Muni operator, you may request an administrative hearing when you file your complaint. SFMTA staff responding to your complaint will attempt to identify the operator using the information you provide. If the operator is identified, you may choose to attend a hearing with the operator, their union representative and a neutral hearing officer. The hearing officer will hear testimony from all parties and make a determination, which will be communicated back to you in writing. Whether or not you attend a hearing, your complaint will be investigated and appropriate action will be taken.
When reporting a complaint please do your best to get as much information as possible about the incident:
- The date, time and location
- The vehicle route (letter or number) and direction (inbound/outbound or North, South East or West)
- The vehicle number, which is a four digit number displayed at the front and back of all Muni vehicles. These are also provided in braille behind the operator's cab of every vehicle.
- The Operator's four digit cap number, located on the right sleeve of their uniform
- A general description of the operator
- A description of the incident
- Your contact information. Please note: Anonymous reports will be investigated, but are not eligible for ADA hearings.
When you report your complaint you will receive a reference number. Please keep this to refer to and use if you have any questions regarding your complaint.
To file an ADA complaint please contact 311:
- SF 311 (Free language assistance provided)
- Voice within San Francisco: 311
- Voice, outside San Francisco: 415.701.2311
- TTY: 415.701.2323
- Online at SF 311
You may also submit a complaint in person at the SFMTA Customer Service Center:
11 South Van Ness Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94103
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8am- 5pm
Reporting an Accessibility or ADA Complaint not related to Muni Operations
For SFMTA Accessibility or ADA complaints not related to Muni operations please contact the SFMTA Accessibility Services Department:
SFMTA Accessible Services
1 South Van Ness Ave., 7th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103
SFMTA staff will investigate your complaint and get back to you within 30 days. Please make sure to include your contact information when filing a complaint.
For more information about the complaint process, or accessibility questions please contact the SFMTA Accessible Services program at 415.701.4485