Office Hours to discuss June 2018 Patricia's Green "Open Street" Event (April 26, 2018)
From June 1 to June 17, the SFMTA is planning a fourth annual Octavia Boulevard Open Street Event at Patricia’s Green, where vehicle lanes are temporarily closed to vehicles and ‘opened’ to people for relaxation and enjoyment. Timed to coincide with several community celebrations, including the SFJAZZ Neighborhood Block Party and the Hayes Valley Neighborhood Association’s Design Week, this year’s event would be the longest yet and is proposed (unlike previous years) to encompass both sides of Patricia’s Green in Hayes Valley.
The temporary closure to vehicles of Octavia Street from Linden to Hayes streets is part of the on-going Octavia Boulevard Enhancement Project to enhance public space and traffic safety in Hayes Valley. Through these temporary closures (or ‘openings’ to people), the community can engage its creativity in real-time on how best to use and activate the space, while the SFMTA can evaluate impacts on circulation, emergency access, maintenance, and other issues in considering more permanent changes. This year, the project team is particularly focused on evaluating traffic impacts with the larger closure area (which requires reversing circulation on Linden Street between Laguna and Octavia), better management of passenger / ride-hail service pick-ups, ideas for on-going activation, and effective stewardship of the space.
Upcoming “Office Hours” at Patricia’s Green
Change – even temporary change – is not always easy, and these events are also meant to engage the community. We’d love to discuss this event and the larger proposal for Octavia Street with you, and will be holding office hours in Patricia’s Green on two separate days to have an informal conversation between staff and neighbors. We hope you’re able to join one or both of these.
- Wed, April 25th, 12-1pm
- Thurs, April 26th, 6-7:30pm
Look for the SFMTA sandwich board sign to find us!
Open Street Event Details
If you are unable to make our office hours, or simply want to know more now, here are a few more details of the proposed event, particularly how it differs from previous years:
- Both sides of Octavia Street (northbound and southbound) between Linden and Hayes streets will be closed to vehicular traffic, but open to people walking and bicycling.
- To continue to provide access to Octavia St southbound between Linden and Fell streets, the one-way direction of the block of Linden St from Laguna to Octavia streets will need to be reversed to eastbound. Temporary signage and striping changes will direct traffic of the change and access to residences, businesses, and on-street parking will be preserved.
- Temporary load zones on nearby side streets will help facilitate passenger and commercial loading, including for ride-hail services. The goal is to keep ride-hail pick-ups on arterial streets, away from Patricia’s Green and narrow alleys like Linden St.
- Various activates are happening in early June, including the SFJAZZ Neighborhood Block Party, celebration of new public art in Patricia’s Green, and PROXY movie nights, further adding activity to Hayes Valley’s already energetic public square. SFMTA will also use the event as an opportunity to engage the community on these and possible permanent changes.