Octavia Boulevard Enhancement Program
The Octavia Boulevard Enhancement Program is a series of capital projects, guided by the Market-Octavia Area Plan, to make the boulevard and surrounding streets safer, more pedestrian-friendly, and better at serving multiple users. After years of community engagement and completion of initial improvements, remaining items include piloting and finalizing potential circulation changes and coordinating with private development to improve Octavia Boulevard's northbound local lane.
Browse the project webpage to learn more about the status and details of these efforts. Please note that the schedule below is a general timeline that is subject to variation among projects. Please sign up to receive project updates to get the latest information on this program.
The Octavia Boulevard Enhancement Program is a series of capital projects, guided by the Market-Octavia Area Plan, to make the boulevard and surrounding streets safer, more pedestrian-friendly, and better at balancing competing demands. After years of community engagement to update and confirm priorities, the following are active efforts in and around the Hayes Valley neighborhood:
- Hayes Street "Follow the Paving": sidewalk bulbouts on Hayes at the Laguna and Buchanan intersections (construction completed )
- Oak/Octavia Safety Improvements: sidewalk bulbout, extended center medians and landscaping (construction completed)
- Page Street Neighborway and Green Connection (Webster to Market): traffic safety and streetscape upgrades within the Market-Octavia Plan area (in design, construction expected 2020; pilot circulation changes expected 2019)
- Market Street/Octavia Boulevard: intersection improvements and potential circulation changes coordinated with the Upper Market Safety Project (project in detailed design phase, estimated construction start early 2020)
- Octavia Boulevard Enhancement Project: streetscape upgrades to northbound local lane, circulation changes at Patricia's Green (streetscape changes remain in conceptual design; circulation changes expected summer 2019)
Areawide crosswalk upgrades and other near-term safety improvements were completed in 2015 through 2017.
The Octavia Boulevard Enhancement Program will evaluate travel conditions between Market Street and Hayes Street, as well as from intersecting corridors such as Oak and Fell streets, specifically:
- Octavia Boulevard, Market Street to Grove Street
- Oak/Fell Streets: Buchanan Street to Gough Street
- Page Street: Webster Street to Gough Street
- Market Street: Guerrero/Laguna streets to Valencia Street
The Octavia Boulevard Enhancement Program will evaluate travel conditions between Market Street and Hayes Street, as well as from intersecting corridors such as the Oak and Fell street couplet and Page Street bikeway.
The program will implement engineering improvements that enhance safety, comfort and livability for people who travel through, work, and live in the area.
To support transparency and community involvement, this program will also serve as a larger engagement process under which multiple projects on or near Octavia Boulevard may advance, including coordinated review of proposed private development.
Funded by the sale of land parcels along the former Central Freeway, as well as developer impact fees, this project is an outgrowth of the 2008 Market/Octavia Area Plan and related ongoing planning by the Market/Octavia Community Advisory Committee and San Francisco Planning Department.
The current estimated value of improvements identified in this project ranges from $5 to $7 million.