Replace or Transfer a Permit
To obtain a replacement permit you must submit the documentation below that applies to your circumstance in person to SFMTA Customer Service Center at 11 South Van Ness Avenue. Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- If the permit is damaged: Please return the damaged permit (or remnants) with a letter of explanation and request a replacement permit.
- If the permit was removed or the bumper was removed as a result of an auto accident: Please provide accident report or bumper repair documentation/receipt, displaying plate number and/or VIN.
- If the car was sold with the permit attached: Please provide a copy of the DMV Release of Liability or a sales receipt. If submitting a sales receipt, the receipt must display the plate number and/or VIN.
- If you get a new license plate: Please return the permit associated to your old license plate(or remnants) with updated registration showing new license plate number.
- If the permit was lost in the mail: Please call 415.701.3000.
If unable to remove the permit, you can write "VOID" in black permanent marker, in large print, on the permit and provide a photo along with required documentation.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENT FOR BUSINESS PERMIT: A request for transfer of parking permit to a new vehicle and/or to a new employee must be made in writing on official business letterhead.
If you have moved and changed addresses within the same RPP area or have purchased a new vehicle you may apply for a transfer in person or by mail at the SFMTA Customer Service Center at 11 South Van Ness Avenue. Please supply a copy of the California DMV registration showing the applicant's name and address within the permit area and return the original permit to be transferred, along with a completed application [Español] [中國]. Permits cannot be transferred if there are delinquent parking tickets on the plate.
Permits cannot be transferred from one area to another. You must apply for a new permit in the area to which you are moving adn pay the applicable fee.
Permits can be removed used glue removers and/or plastic scraper.