SFMTA Announces the 5th Annual Muni Heritage Weekend
Who: SFMTA and historic preservation partner Market Street Railway
When: Saturday & Sunday, September 24-25, 2016, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Where: Market Street Railway Museum
77 Steuart Street
San Francisco, CA
The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA), which operates the Municipal Railway (Muni), is inviting the public to join us on a nostalgic trip into San Francisco’s public transit past. Riders of today will be placed into the seats of yesteryear. Vintage motor, trolley buses, and trains will once again start their engines and transport revelers for this Fifth Annual Muni Heritage Weekend. This year marks the 75th anniversary of Muni’s first trolley coach line, and vintage buses will serve double duty as “galleries on wheels” featuring historical photos. Festivities kick-off Saturday, September 24 and run through Sunday September 25. Climb aboard these free rolling galleries for a ride through time and around town. For Muni Heritage Weekend only, the vintage buses will run special, free exhibition rides leaving from Market Street Railway approximately every 15 minutes.
The center of activity will be the San Francisco Railway Museum, which is operated by Market Street Railway, the non-profit historic preservation partner that supports SFMTA in its operation of its historic vehicle fleet. Market Street Railway will have special displays and memorabilia and rare book sales for transit and San Francisco history aficionados.
Explore Muni’s History and Exciting Future
Exhibits on Muni’s history and future will be on display from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Steuart Street and Don Chee Way, across from the Market Street Railway Museum. View historic photos, vehicles, and find out about the projects and vehicles that will carry Muni into the future.
Market Street Railway Museum
The San Francisco Railway Museum, can be accessed via the Steuart Street F Line stop, the E Line Ferry Building stop and is one block from the California Street cable car terminal. Visitors can take advantage of special sales of transit books and memorabilia. Proceeds will help to fund Market Street Railway and their ongoing historic vehicle preservation efforts. Visitors of the free museum can also see an exhibit on the Historic Trolley Festivals of the 1980s that gave birth to the F Line.
Historic Vehicles that will be Available for Rides or Display
Five historic streetcars rarely in operation will run between the Ferry Building and Pier 39. Ride Streetcars No. 1, 130, 228, 496 and 578 for free along the short Embarcadero route. For some trips, Streetcars No. 1 and 130 may run the full F Market & Wharves route.
Streetcar No. 1: Muni’s very first streetcar, which inaugurated Muni service on December 28, 1912. Streetcar No. 1 wears Muni’s first paint scheme of gray and red, with gold trim. Free!
Streetcar No. 130: This streetcar was part of an order for 125 cars to expand Muni service for the 1914 Panama-Pacific International Exposition. This historic streetcar is dedicated to the late Herb Caen. Free!
Streetcar No. 496: This Melbourne car went into service in 1928 and was purchased by Muni in 1984. This car has been cosmetically restored, made wheelchair-accessible and given a GPS system. Aside from these upgrades, 496 has remained true to how it operated on the streets of Melbourne for 56 years. Free!
Streetcar No. 228: The boat tram from Blackpool, England was one of twelve built for the English seaside resort city in 1934. This was the second boat tram acquired by Muni with the help of Market Street Railway members in 1984. Free!
Streetcar No. 578: This 1896 streetcar is the oldest streetcar operated by a North American transit agency. Converted to a work car after the 1906 earthquake and restored by Muni crafts workers to its passenger configuration and original yellow livery in 1956 as part of the city’s commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the earthquake. No. 578 will operate between the San Francisco Railway Museum and Pier 39 along The Embarcadero. Free!
A number of historic streetcars are in service on the E Embarcadero and F Market & Wharves lines. Riders may board at F Line stops between Jones & Beach and 17th & Castro. Regular fares apply.
Cable Car No. 42 is a special double-end cable car built in 1906. It served the O’Farrell, Jones & Hyde line until that route was discontinued in 1954. It will also make a special appearance and run regular service along the California Street Cable Car Line. Cars 1, 3, 9, 12, 13, 15, 16, 25, 26 will all be out and running on the Powell/Mason and Powell/Hyde lines during the weekend which makes up the original 9 cars of the original “Heritage Livery” color schemes. Regular cable car fares apply.
Several historic buses are running a loop on Market to Sutter, Sutter to Mason and Mason back to Market. Riders may board in front of the San Francisco Railway Museum on Steuart Street between Market and Mission streets. No fares – you can ride the historic buses for free.
Bus No. 776: A 1950 Marmon-Herrington trolley coach, which served virtually all of Muni’s trolley bus lines during its quarter-century of service. It is painted in its original green and cream “Wings” livery. Free!
Bus No. 3287: Built by General Motors, purchased by Muni in 1969, and restored to its original maroon and yellow livery inspired by the cable cars. Free!
Bus No. 5300: A 1975 Flyer trolley coach painted in the white and two-tone orange paint scheme created for Muni by famed San Francisco industrial designer Walter Landor, who also created Muni’s current logo, known to many as “the worm”. Free!
The vintage buses will leave from the San Francisco Railway Museum on Steuart Street between Market and Mission streets, across from the Ferry Building. They will follow a circle route that loops around the Union Square area: outbound via Market, Sutter and Mason back to Market, returning inbound via Market, Spear, and Mission to Steuart.