April 2023 Slow Streets Update: Proposed Chenery and SoMa Slow Streets re-authorization
The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency (SFMTA) Board will consider re-authorizing Chenery Street between Elk Street and Diamond Street, and Lapu-Lapu, Rizal, Tandang Sora, Bonifacio and Mabini streets between Folsom Street and Harrison Street (SoMa Slow Streets) as part of the Slow Streets Program at the May 16, 2023 meeting.
Previously, as part of the SFMTA's COVID response efforts, Slow Streets were established on Chenery Street in 2020, and on Lapu-Lapu, Rizal, Tandang Sora, Bonifacio and Mabini streets between Folsom Street and Harrison Street (SoMa Slow Streets) in 2021. The City's COVID-response Slow Streets sunset at the end of Winter 2023.
However, following the December 6, 2022 SFMTA Board meeting, SFMTA staff heard support from both Glen Park and SoMa community members for maintaining these streets as Slow Streets for a variety of reasons, including their importance as community spaces and their effectiveness in traffic calming. Staff has since collaborated with community stakeholders to develop a draft design and potential public space activation activities.
The proposed Chenery and SoMa Slow Streets would receive the following improvements as part of these proposals:
Slow Streets delineators
- Permanent Slow Street delineators would be installed at select intersections and midblock locations on Chenery Street.
- The existing temporary Local Traffic Only signs installed on Lapu Lapu at Harrison Street would be replaced with Slow Street delineators.
- Slow Streets identification signs and cross-street signs
- Wayfinding signs to connect to the citywide bike network (on Chenery Street only)
- Roadway narrowing treatments to calm traffic (on Chenery Street only)
- Slow Streets pavement markings with representative icons and the word ‘Slow’
To find out more about the May 16, 2023 SFMTA Board meeting, including how to participate, visit https://www.sfmta.com/calendar/board-directors-meeting-may-16-2023.
Members of the public may submit a comment in advance of the meeting to MTABoard@sfmta.com or call 415.646.4470 by 5pm the day before the meeting, or provide public comment at the physical meeting location listed below, participate online at ww.sfgovtv.org/sfmtaLIVE.
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, CA
Room 400, Floor 4
Remote Meeting Access
Public Comment Call-In: 415.655.0001 Access Code: 2599 415 8803