Central Subway Construction Update 11/22/13
November 23-December 9, 2013
During the next 17 days, tunneling and tunneling preparatory work will continue in SoMa, Union Square and North Beach. Work to prepare for station construction is continuing in Chinatown and northern SoMa. In southern SoMa, preparatory construction is planned to start in December.
Next week, our first tunnel boring machine will cross under Market Street and the existing BART and Muni Metro tunnels. For more information on this major milestone, check out our blog.
This section provides overviews of current and upcoming construction impacts in each neighborhood. For full descriptions, scroll down or click on the links. We also post construction, traffic detour and Muni impact information on our project Google Map.
Southern SoMa (Harrison to King/Berry):
- New: The start date of utility potholing has been pushed back. This work is now planned to begin the week of Dec. 2 on 4th Street between Bryant and King. Potholing involves drilling holes and trenches in the street to confirm the locations of existing utility lines. Work hours will usually be Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. More details are in the Southern SoMa section and in this construction notice.
- Continuing: 4th Street between Harrison and Bryant may fully close some evenings and weekends. A closure is planned for tonight, starting at 8 p.m. This closure may continue through the weekend. Two lanes of traffic will remain open at all other times. On Bryant Street at 5th Street, the left lane and several parking spaces will remain closed.
- Upcoming: Starting in 2014, additional construction will begin on 4th Street south of Bryant. Work includes relocation of several utility lines, construction of light-rail tracks and construction of an above-ground train station at 4th and Brannan. Impacts will vary during different phases of construction and on different blocks.
Northern SoMa (Market to Harrison):
- New: Tentative: Perform sewer surveys on Folsom near the intersection with 4th Street.
- Continuing: 4th Street between Market and Stevenson will be reduced to two traffic lanes so we can improve the ground as the tunnel boring machines pass below. The work zone is on the east side of the street, in front of Ross. A temporary taxi stand is in place just south of Stevenson.
The two right lanes will remain closed on 4th Street between Howard and Folsom. South of Clementina, the sidewalk on the west side of the street is closed. To ensure safety, pedestrians should use the sidewalk on the other side of the street and cross the street at 4th and Howard.
On 4th Street between Folsom and Harrison, the parking lane and one lane of traffic on the east side of the street will remain closed to allow for ground improvement work.
- Upcoming: After completing preparatory work, we will begin building the Yerba Buena/Moscone Station in the coming months at 4th and Folsom.
- New: Stockton Street between Ellis and O'Farrell is now open to vehicle traffic. Stockton between O'Farrell and Geary is planned to reopen early next week. The blocks will remain open until January 2014.
- Continuing: Ellis Street between Stockton and Powell will remain closed to westbound traffic. At this location, we will improve ground conditions as the TBMs pass below.
- Upcoming: Construction of the Union Square/Market Street Station is starting next year. We will provide more information soon.
- New: Washington Street between Stockton and Trenton may close to vehicles and pedestrians the week of Nov. 25. This closure will allow us to relocate utilities and build an underground station wall in this area. The closure is expected to last for approximately two years.
- Continuing: The contractor continues performing utility work at and around Stockton and Washington. Expect parking impacts around construction zones.
- Upcoming: Within the Chinatown Station site, we are performing archeological surveys and environmental assessments in preparation for station construction next year.
- New: Utility construction will pause at and around the intersection of Columbus and Union from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day. Next week, utility construction will be underway from Monday to Wednesday (11/25-27).
- Continuing: At the Pagoda, parking and walkways may be impacted in front of the Pagoda Palace property. We plan to complete work at this location in 2014.
In the Bank of America parking lot at 1455 Stockton, crews are constructing a shaft 20 feet in diameter and 27 feet deep, for use to improve ground conditions when the TBMs pass beneath Columbus Avenue. The parking lot will be closed but the banking drive-thru will remain open. Work hours are Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Upcoming: To ensure we are prepared for the arrival of the TBMs next year, work will continue during December on private property within 1731-1741 Powell Street and the parking lot of 1455 Stockton Street.
We appreciate your patience and support while we build this essential upgrade to San Francisco's public transportation system.
-The Central Subway Team
The two Central Subway tunnels, as seen from the underground site where tunneling began. Southern SoMa
4th Street from Harrison to King/Berry
On 4th Street between Harrison and Bryant streets, the contractor has constructed a major excavation known as a launch box at the site where the Central Subway tunnel begins. After assembly of two tunnel boring machines (TBM) underground, tunneling is underway.
On 4th Street between Bryant and King streets, we plan to begin potholing for utilities in December. Potholing involves drilling small holes and trenches in the street to confirm the locations of existing utility lines. More information is available in this construction notice.
Planned construction (Harrison to Bryant):
- Construct tunnel for southbound trains (TBM Mom Chung)
- Construct tunnel under Market Street and BART (TBM Mom Chung)
- Construct tunnel for northbound trains (TBM Big Alma)
- Remove launch components from northbound tunnel
Traffic and pedestrian impacts (Harrison to Bryant):
- The two lanes on the east side of the street (left lanes for southbound traffic) will remain open to vehicle traffic except as described below.
- The block may close to traffic from 8 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. on weeknights and all day Saturday and Sunday.
- The block will close tonight (11/22) starting at 8 p.m. The closure may continue through the weekend.
- The sidewalk on the west side of the block will remain closed; the sidewalk on the east side of the block will remain open.
- On Bryant Street at 5th Street, the left lane and several parking spaces will be closed.
Planned construction (Bryant to King):
- Potholing is planned to start on 4th Street between Bryant and King the week of December 2
- Construction will take place within construction zones marked by cones. Construction zones will move daily as work proceeds.
- Initially, work will take place on the eastern side of 4th Street and the eastern sidewalk.
- Work hours will be Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Traffic and pedestrian impacts (Bryant to King):
- Temporary partial lane closures will be in effect on 4th Street in the vicinity of construction zones
- Parking will be impacted in the vicinity of construction zones. The contractor will post 72-hour notification as required.
- Sidewalks will be impacted on the eastern side of the street. The contractor will maintain a safe path of travel at all times.
- The contractor will maintain access to all businesses during business hours.
We are improving ground conditions at this site, at 4th and Market, as TBM Mom Chung passes beneath Market Street.
4th Street from Market to Harrison
On 4th Street between Market and Stevenson, we are improving ground conditions while the tunnel boring machines pass beneath the roadway.
On 4th Street between Howard and Folsom, preparatory work to construct the Yerba Buena/Moscone Station is now in progress at the corner of 4th and Folsom. Station construction will start soon.
On 4th Street between Folsom and Harrison, the contractor will perform ground improvements while the tunnel boring machines pass beneath the roadway.
Planned construction (Market to Stevenson):
- Monitor ground conditions and improve them as needed
Traffic and pedestrian impacts (Market to Stevenson):
- Two lanes of traffic will remain open on the west side of the street, with the work zone on the east side of the street (near Ross)
- The taxi stand will be relocated to Market Street just south of Stevenson.
Planned construction (Howard to Folsom):
- Remove underground tanks
- Remove light pole within construction zone
- Construct test elements for underground walls
- Tentative: Perform underground sewer surveys on Folsom near the intersection with 4th. This work may occur at night.
- Work hours are Monday to Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Traffic and pedestrian impacts (Howard to Folsom):
- The two right lanes of 4th Street will remain closed to traffic
- Clementina between 4th and 5th is closed to thru traffic. Please use this block for local access only.
- The sidewalk on the west side of 4th Street between Clementina and Folsom will be closed. To ensure pedestrian safety, please use the sidewalk on the east side of the street and cross at 4th and Howard.
- Big trucks will enter and exit the 4th and Folsom site during work hours. Flaggers will be on site to facilitate truck entry and exit.
Planned construction (Folsom to Harrison):
- Monitor ground conditions and improve them as needed.
Traffic and pedestrian impacts (Folsom to Harrison):
- The parking lane and one lane of traffic on the eastern side of the street (in front of Whole Foods) will be closed
Before opening Stockton Street, crews added traffic striping to the roadway. Union Square
Stockton Street from Market to Post
On Stockton Street between Geary and Ellis streets, the contractor has installed below-ground walls called headwalls at the site of the future Union Square/Market Street Station. Ground improvement is underway on Ellis Street between Stockton and Powell streets.
- Stockton between Ellis and Geary: No construction planned.
- Ellis between Stockton and Powell: Improve ground conditions as TBM Mom Chung passes through the area.
Traffic, transit and pedestrian impacts:
- Stockton Street between O'Farrell and Ellis has now reopened to traffic and will remain open at least until Jan. 2, 2014. Stockton between Geary and O'Farrell is planned to reopen by early next week.
- Ellis Street between Stockton and the Ellis-O'Farrell Garage (between Stockton and Powell) will remain closed to westbound traffic
More information about construction at this site is available in this construction notice and this press release.
In Chinatown, this covered walkway is now open. It protects pedestrians while we build the Chinatown Station at Stockton and Washington. Chinatown
Stockton Street from Sacramento to Broadway
To prepare to build the Chinatown Station, contractor Tutor Perini has demolished the existing building at 933-949 Stockton Street. Preparatory construction is now underway on Stockton Street and Washington Street.
- Perform water line work at the intersection of Stockton and Washington
- Drill to assess environmental conditions within station site
- Week of 12/2: Work on high-pressure water line on Washington Street
- Week of 12/2: Install shallow subsurface walls on Washington Street in preparation for station construction
Traffic, transit and pedestrian impacts:
- Several parking spaces may be closed near the intersection of Stockton and Washington, on both streets, and in the vicinity of construction zones
- One lane of Washington Street will be closed just west of Stockton Street
- Washington Street between Stockton and Trenton will close to allow for station construction. We expect this closure to start next week.
At 1455 Stockton Street, we are making progress in constructing this shaft. We will use it to improve ground conditions in the area when the TBMs pass below Columbus Avenue. North Beach
Powell Street from Union to Columbus
On private property at 1731-1741 Powell Street, the contractor will construct a walled excavation known as a retrieval shaft at the site where tunneling will end. The two tunnel boring machines will be removed from the ground at this location. Demolition of the Pagoda Palace is now complete. We plan to complete work at this location in 2014.
Near the intersection of Columbus Avenue and Union Street, the contractor is completing utility work that was started last year. This work will pause from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day. More information is available in this flier.
On private property at 1455 Stockton Street, the contractor is constructing an underground shaft to perform ground improvements when the TBMs pass below Columbus Avenue.
Planned construction (Pagoda):
- Construct retrieval shaft (subsurface walls)
- Perform ground improvements (week of 12/2)
- Construction hours will usually be Monday to Saturday, 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Traffic, transit and pedestrian impacts (Pagoda):
- Several parking spaces may be closed in front of the property.
- The sidewalk in front of the property may be closed. A temporary walkway will be in place around the construction zone when the sidewalk is closed.
Planned construction (Columbus and Union):
- Restore sewer connections
- Construction hours on Columbus are Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- No construction starting Thanksgiving Day
Traffic, transit and pedestrian impacts (Columbus and Union):
- On Columbus between Union and Filbert, the left lane for northbound traffic will be closed during construction hours
- The northbound bus stop on Columbus at Union will remain open, but it will be temporarily relocated about 100 feet to the north during construction hours.
Planned construction (1455 Stockton):
- Construct subsurface walls
- Excavate shaft
- Work hours are Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Traffic, transit and pedestrian impacts (1455 Stockton):
- No impacts to traffic, transit or pedestrian walkways are anticipated
- The parking lot at 1455 Stockton will remain closed
Central Subway Construction Fast Facts
Project Alignment: 4th Street between Berry and Market streets; Stockton Street between Market Street and Columbus Avenue; Powell Street between Union Street and Columbus Avenue; Columbus Avenue between Powell and Filbert streets.
Transit Reroutes: The southbound 8X/8AX/8BX Bayshore Express, 30 Stockton, 45 Union/Stockton and 91 Owl Muni bus routes have been rerouted to accommodate construction in Union Square and SoMa. These reroutes will remain in effect throughout the duration of Central Subway construction. More information is available online here.
Contact Us: Should you have questions about construction or the Central Subway Project, don't hesitate to contact our team. You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 415-701-4371.
For More Information: The Central Subway team posts frequent project updates on a variety of social media outlets. To find out more about the project and construction progress, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Flickr, and check out our blog.
Construction schedules are subject to change.