Geary Rapid Project Construction Forecast: November 7 - November 20, 2020
Photo: Crews construct new median pedestrian refuge islands at Geary and Webster in preparation for the surface-level crosswalk to supplement the existing pedestrian bridge.
As part of the Geary Rapid Project, work to replace aging water and sewer lines, in coordination with San Francisco Public Utilities Commission, is almost complete west of Van Ness Avenue. Surface improvements, including upgraded traffic signals and streetlights, sidewalk extensions at bus stops and intersection corners, improved median refuges and roadway repaving, are also underway and are being managed by San Francisco Public Works.
Geary Rapid Project construction is currently scheduled to continue during the shelter in place order, with crews observing social distancing requirements and a safe working environment. The following two-week construction forecast is subject to change due to weather delays or unexpected field conditions.
Stanyan Street – Franklin Street
Mondays through Fridays between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.:
- Minor sewer work is planned for the weeks of November 9 and November 16 at the intersections of Buchanan Street, Laguna Street and Cleary Court.
- Concrete roadway base work is planned for the weeks of November 9 and November 16 on Geary Boulevard from Steiner to Gough streets.
- Traffic signal and streetlight work is planned for the weeks of November 9 and November 16 at the intersections of Commonwealth/Beaumont avenues, Steiner Street, Webster Street, Buchanan Street and Laguna Street.
- Installation of underground conduits for future fiber-optic cables is planned for the weeks of November 9 and November 16 on westbound Geary Boulevard from Stanyan to Parker streets.
- Curb ramp and sidewalk extension work is planned for the weeks of November 9 and November 16 on Geary Boulevard at the intersections of Commonwealth/Beaumont avenues, Steiner Street, Webster Street, Buchanan Street, Cleary Court, and Gough Street.
- During active sidewalk work, the outbound 38 bus stops at Gough Street and Webster Street will be temporarily relocated nearby. Look for “Board Here” signs.
Van Ness Avenue – Market Street
Mondays through Fridays between 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.:
- Water service connection work is planned for the weeks of November 9 and November 16 on Geary Street between Hyde and Jones streets and between Powell and Stockton streets.
- Water service to some properties may be briefly shut off while SFPUC connects to the new water main on Geary. SFPUC will notify properties in advance of any service interruption. To minimize disruption, work is sometimes conducted at night.
- Roadway and sidewalk work are planned for the weeks of November 9 and November 16 on Geary Street at the intersections of Larkin Street and Hyde Street.
Some parking will be temporarily restricted in construction zones and traffic lanes will be modified during active work. There may be brief vibrations during sidewalk and roadway excavation.
Questions or concerns? Contact us at GearyRapid@SFMTA.com or 415.646.2300.
Tenderloin Outdoor Dining is underway! Revisit an old favorite or discover a new restaurant along Larkin Street and Golden Gate Avenue (between Larkin & Hyde Street), Thursday - Sunday, 12:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
Visit the new Fillmore Marketplace, Sunday, November 15 from 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm. At O’Farrell and Fillmore streets. Support Black-owned businesses, shop and eat at a local restaurant.
The following 38/38R bus stops are planned to be temporarily relocated. These changes are part of work that is unrelated to the Geary Rapid Project.
- Mondays – Fridays, October 12 – November 12, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.:
The inbound and outbound 38/38R Geary bus stops between 33rd and 42nd avenues will be temporarily relocated nearby during roadway work.
For the most up to date Muni service information, parking enforcement, and other updates visit SFMTA.com/COVID19.