Geary Rapid Project Construction Forecast: October 31 - November 13, 2020
Photo: Crews restore the pavement after installation of new underground conduits at Commonwealth Avenue and Geary Boulevard. Photo courtesy of community advocate, Tom Barton.
As part of the Geary Rapid Project, work to replace aging water and sewer lines, in coordination with San Francisco Public Utilities Commission, is almost complete west of Van Ness Avenue. Surface improvements, including upgraded traffic signals and streetlights, sidewalk extensions at bus stops and intersection corners, improved median refuges and roadway repaving, are also underway and are being managed by San Francisco Public Works.
Geary Rapid Project construction is currently scheduled to continue during the shelter in place order, with crews observing social distancing requirements and a safe working environment. The following two-week construction forecast is subject to change due to weather delays or unexpected field conditions.
Stanyan Street – Franklin Street
Mondays through Fridays between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.:
- Minor sewer work is planned for the weeks of November 2 and November 9 at the intersections of Buchanan Street, Laguna Street and Cleary Court.
- Concrete roadway base work is planned for the weeks of November 2 and November 9 on Geary Boulevard from Steiner to Laguna streets and from Gough to Franklin streets.
- Asphalt roadway repaving is planned for the week of November 2 at the intersection of Geary Boulevard and Franklin Street.
- Traffic signal and streetlight work is planned for the weeks of November 2 and November 9 at the intersections of Commonwealth/Beaumont avenues, Steiner Street, Webster Street, Buchanan Street and Laguna Street.
- Installation of underground conduits for future fiber-optic cables is planned for the weeks of November 2 and November 9 on westbound Geary Boulevard from Stanyan to Parker streets.
- Curb ramp and sidewalk extension work is planned for the weeks of November 2 and November 9 on Geary Boulevard at the intersections of Steiner Street, Fillmore Street, Webster Street, Buchanan Street, Laguna Street and Cleary Court.
- During active sidewalk work, the inbound and outbound 38/38R bus stops at Fillmore Street, Webster Street and Laguna Street will be temporarily relocated nearby. Look for “Board Here” signs.
Van Ness Avenue – Market Street
Mondays through Fridays between 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.:
- Water service connection work is planned for the weeks of November 2 and November 9 on Geary Street between Hyde and Jones streets and between Powell and Stockton streets.
- Water service to some properties may be briefly shut off while SFPUC connects to the new water main on Geary. SFPUC will notify properties in advance of any service interruption. To minimize disruption, work is sometimes conducted at night.
- Roadway and sidewalk work are planned for the weeks of November 2 and November 9 on Geary Street at the intersections of Larkin Street and Hyde Street.
Some parking will be temporarily restricted in construction zones and traffic lanes will be modified during active work. There may be brief vibrations during sidewalk and roadway excavation.
Questions or concerns? Contact us at GearyRapid@SFMTA.com or 415.646.2300.
You can do your part to help San Francisco's vibrant commercial life rebound from COVID-19 by visiting local businesses. Click below to see what's open in your neighborhood:
The following 38/38R bus stops are planned to be temporarily relocated. These changes are part of work that is unrelated to the Geary Rapid Project.
- Mondays – Fridays, October 12 – November 12, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.:
The inbound and outbound 38/38R Geary bus stops between 33rd and 42nd avenues will be temporarily relocated nearby during roadway work.
For the most up to date Muni service information, parking enforcement, and other updates visit SFMTA.com/COVID19.