Replace or Transfer a Permit
To obtain a replacement permit you must submit the documentation below that applies to your circumstance by mail or in person to SFMTA Customer Service Center at 11 South Van Ness Avenue. Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- If the permit is damaged: Please return the damaged permit (or remnants) with a letter of explanation and request a replacement permit.
- If the permit was removed or the bumper was removed as a result of an auto accident: Please provide accident report or bumper repair documentation/receipt, displaying plate number and/or VIN.
- If the car was sold with the permit attached: Please provide a copy of the DMV Release of Liability or a sales receipt. If submitting a sales receipt, the receipt must display the plate number and/or VIN.
- If you get a new license plate: Please return the permit associated to your old license plate(or remnants) with updated registration showing new license plate number.
- If adding or changing plates on a Caregiver permit: Please return the permit with application requirements for new plates.
- If the permit was lost in the mail: Please call 415.646.2500.
- If the permit was stolen: Please provide a copy of the police report.
If unable to remove the permit, you can write "VOID" in black permanent marker, in large print, on the permit and provide a photo along with required documentation.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENT FOR BUSINESS PERMIT: A request for transfer of parking permit to a new vehicle and/or to a new employee must be made in writing on official business letterhead.
If you have moved and changed addresses within the same RPP area or have purchased a new vehicle you may apply for a transfer in person or by mail at the SFMTA Customer Service Center at 11 South Van Ness Avenue. Please supply a copy of the California DMV registration showing the applicant's name and address within the permit area and return the original permit to be transferred, along with a completed application
Permits cannot be transferred if there are delinquent parking tickets on the plate.
Permits cannot be transferred from one area to another. You must apply for a new permit in the area to which you are moving and pay the applicable fee.
Permits can be removed using glue removers and/or plastic scraper.