The Lifeline Pass is a Muni-only monthly pass for qualified customers on a limited income. Lifeline customers get unlimited access to Muni service, including cable cars, for a calendar month. The pass is offered at a 50% discount off the standard adult monthly pass price.
Monthly Cost: $39
All San Francisco residents with a gross annual income (before taxes) at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty level (income levels below) are eligible to receive the Lifeline pass.
Add $8,640 for each additional household member above six.
How To Apply
Option 1 -S.F. Residents currently receiving Medi-Cal or EBT benefits
Bring a proof of residence card (listed below under “required documentation”) and a current Medi-Cal or EBT benefit card to the SFMTA Customer Service Center at 11 South Van Ness Avenue (at Market Street) to receive a Lifeline ID card and to purchase your discounted monthly sticker for Muni service.
Option 2 -S.F. Residents not receiving one of the above listed benefits
Step 1 - Bring completed application and required documentation (see below) to the Human Services Agency (HSA) office located at 170 Otis Street (at McCoppin Street) for income and residency certification.
1) Government Issued Identification (examples below)*
- Driver's License
- SF City ID Card
- Matricula Consular ID Card
- US Military ID
- Alien Registration/Permanent Resident Card
2) Proof of Income Eligibility (examples below)*
- Most recent year's tax return and copies of W2s
- Current housing assistance program contract
*One of the above documents must contain proof of San Francisco residency
Step 2 - Bring application certified by HSA to the SFMTA Customer Service Center at 11 South Van Ness Avenue (between Mission and Market Streets) to obtain your Lifeline ID card.
You can also request an application be sent to you in the mail by completing this online form.
Using Your Lifeline ID Card
The ID/monthly sticker is not a “Smart Card”. It will not work in the card reader or the Clipper reader in the Muni Metro Station faregates. You must display your ID card to a Station Agent for access to the Metro system. If no agent is present, you may proceed through the faregate closest to the station agent booth – it will open automatically. The ID card with valid monthly sticker affixed serves as proof of payment. On surface level vehicles, you may enter the back door or, when boarding the front door, display your ID card to the Operator. Stickers are valid through the 3rd day of the following month.
Where To Buy A Monthly Sticker
- Human Services Agency - 170 Otis Street @ Mc Coppin Street; Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Available during the last three and first three business days of each month.
- Human Services Agency Career Link Center - 3120 Mission Street @ Cesar Chavez Street; Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; available during the last two and first two business days of each month.
- EVS Enterprises, LLC (Photo Focus) - 1100 Stockton Street; 7 days a week, 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.; available during the last five and first fifteen days of each month.
- Seabee Liquors - 3000 Taraval Street; 7 days a week, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.; available during the last five and first fifteen business days of each month.
- SFMTA Bay & Taylor Sales Kiosk- 2450 Taylor Street; 7 days a week, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; available during the last five and first three business days of each month. *Temporarily closed from 10/8/16-3/24/17.
- SFMTA Customer Service Center - 11 South Van Ness Avenue @ Market Street; Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; available during the last five business of each month, and until the start of the next monthly sales period.
- SFMTA Presidio Sales Kiosk- 949 Presidio Avenue @ Geary Boulevard; 7 days a week, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; available during the last five and first three business days of each month.
- Visitacion Valley Pharmacy - 100 Leland Avenue; Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; Saturday, 9:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.; closed Sundays; available during the last five and first fifteen business days of each month.
Every two years the San Francisco Human Services Agency (HSA) recertifies all Lifeline customers. All Lifeline card holders should now have a "2020" sticker or card.
No refunds or replacements are issued for monthly stickers. A $5 fee applies for a replacement ID card. They may be obtained at the SFMTA Customer Service Center at 11 South Van Ness Avenue, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
311 Free language assistance / 免費語言協助 / Ayuda gratis con el idioma / Бесплатная помощь переводчиков / Assistance linguistique gratuite / 無料の言語支援 / 무료 언어 지원 / Libreng tulong para sa wikang Tagalog / คว“มช่วยเหลือท“งภ“ษ“โดยไม่เส’ยค่าใช้จ่าย / Trợ giúp Thông dịch Miễn phí