Sales occur during the last ten and the first fifteen calendar days of each month.
The Lifeline Pass is a Muni-only monthly pass for customers on a limited income. Lifeline customers get unlimited access to Muni service, including cable cars, for a calendar month. The pass is offered at a 50% discount off the standard adult monthly pass price. Individuals with a gross annual income (before taxes) at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty level (income levels below) are eligible to receive the Lifeline pass.
Add $8,960 for each additional household member above six.
The Clipper START Fare provides single ride fare discounts to those who qualify for Lifeline. This is a great option if you qualify for Lifeline, but don't ride enough to need a monthly.
How To Apply
Applications are being accepted by mail or online only
- Online - Complete the online application; OR
- By Mail - Download an application and mail it to SFMTA Customer Service Center, ATTN: Lifeline Application, 11 South Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94103; OR
- In Person - Bring a completed application to SFMTA Customer Service Center at 11 South Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94103
Individuals applying with unemployment benefits or self-certifying their income will be issued a Temporary Lifeline ID.
Using Your Lifeline ID Card
In order to access the Muni Metro Station faregates you must display your ID card to a Station Agent for access to the Metro system. If no agent is present, you may proceed through the faregate closest to the station agent booth – it will open automatically.
The ID card with valid monthly sticker affixed serves as proof of payment. On surface level vehicles, you may enter the back door or, when boarding the front door, display your ID card to the Operator. Stickers are valid through the 3rd day of the following month.
Where To Buy A Monthly Sticker
Monthly stickers may be purchased at the following locations the last ten and the first fifteen calendar days of each month.
- SFMTA Sales Kiosks (open 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM, seven days a week. Closed daily from 11:00 AM-11:30 AM & 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM)
- Bay & Taylor
- Powell & Market
- Presidion & Geary
- Human Services Agency (HSA) - 170 Otis Street
- EVS Enterprises, LLC (Photo Focus) - 1100 Stockton Street; 7 days a week, 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Visitacion Valley Pharmacy - 100 Leland Avenue; Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; Saturday, 9:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.; closed Sundays
- Lucky Spot - 1944 Irving Street; 7 days a week, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The Lifeline monthly pass is also available on the MuniMobile app. You must have a valid Lifeline ID card while using the Lifeline MuniMobile fare on your phone. Visit www.sfmta.com/MuniMobile or call 415.701.2311 for more information.
If you purchased your monthly pass using the MuniMobile app you must still carry your Lifeline card with you to accompany the pass on your phone.
No refunds, exchanges or replacements are issued for monthly stickers.