Geary Rapid Project Construction Forecast: April 18 - May 1, 2020
As part of the Geary Rapid Project, work to replace aging water and sewer lines on Geary Boulevard, in coordination with San Francisco Public Utilities Commission, continues. Water main replacement and sidewalk improvements are also being coordinated with Public Works east of Van Ness Avenue.
Construction as part of the Geary Rapid Project is currently scheduled to continue during the shelter in place order, with crews observing social distancing requirements and a safe working environment. The following two-week construction forecast is subject to change due to weather delays or unexpected field conditions.
Fillmore Street – Franklin Street
Mondays through Fridays between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.:
- Water main installation is planned for the weeks of April 20 and April 27 on westbound Geary Boulevard from Buchanan to Gough streets.
Van Ness Avenue – Market Street
Mondays through Saturdays between 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.:
- Water main installation, connection and testing is planned for the weeks of April 20 and April 27 on Geary Street between Polk and Jones streets.
- During active water work, the outbound 38/inbound 19 bus stop on Geary at Larkin will be temporarily relocated west towards Polk Street. Look for “Board Here” signs nearby.
- Water service to some properties may be briefly shut off while SFPUC connects to the new water main on Geary. SFPUC will notify properties in advance of any service interruption. To minimize disruption, work is sometimes conducted at night.
- Roadway and sidewalk work is planned for the weeks of April 20 and April 27 at the intersections of O'Farrell and Larkin, O’Farrell and Hyde, O’Farrell and Leavenworth streets, and on O’Farrell between Jones and Taylor streets and between Stockton and Grant streets.
- During active work, the inbound 38/38R Geary bus stop on O’Farrell between Jones and Taylor will be temporarily relocated east towards Taylor Street and the bus stop on O’Farrell between Stockton and Grant will be temporarily relocated west towards Stockton Street. Look for “Board Here” signs nearby.
- Potholing to verify the locations of existing underground utilities is planned for the week of April 20 on Geary Street between Taylor and Market streets.
Some parking will be temporarily restricted in construction zones and traffic lanes will be modified during active work. There may be brief vibrations during sidewalk and roadway excavation.
Questions or concerns? Contact us at GearyRapid@SFMTA.com or 415.646.2300.
Beginning Tuesday, April 8, SFMTA is making necessary service reductions during the order to shelter in place. Only 17 bus routes will operate daily from 5am to 10pm. A reduced owl network will operate from 10pm to 5am. Please see SFMTA’s COVID-19 Developments & Response page for more details.
The following 38/38R bus stops are planned to be temporarily relocated. These changes are part of work that is unrelated to the Geary Rapid Project.
- Mondays - Sundays, March 16 – May 26, all day:
The inbound 38/38R Geary bus stop on O'Farrell Street at Van Ness Avenue will be temporarily relocated west towards Franklin Street while work related to the Van Ness Improvement Project is performed.
- Mondays - Fridays, April 6 – May 6, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.:
The inbound and outbound 38/38R/38AX Geary "A" Express bus stops at 33rd, 36th, 39th and 42nd avenues will be temporarily relocated nearby during roadway work.
To view a list of temporary bus stop relocations citywide, please visit: SFMTA.com/TempStopMap