Geary Rapid Project Construction Forecast: December 12 - December 25, 2020
Photo: Newly-minted business support signage on a Muni bus encouraging visitors to Japantown, one of the four neighborhood business districts supported by the Geary Rapid Project’s Construction Mitigation Program.
As part of the Geary Rapid Project, construction continues on surface improvements, including upgraded traffic signals and streetlights, sidewalk extensions at bus stops and intersection corners, improved median refuges and roadway repaving, which are being managed by San Francisco Public Works. Work to replace aging water pipes east of Van Ness Avenue is currently on pause in observance of the holiday construction moratorium, in support of local businesses.
Geary Rapid Project construction is currently scheduled to continue during the shelter in place order, with crews observing social distancing requirements and a safe working environment. The following two-week construction forecast is subject to change due to weather delays or unexpected field conditions. No work is planned for the weeks of December 21 and 28 as crews are taking time off for the holidays.
Stanyan Street – Franklin Street
Mondays through Fridays between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.:
- Minor sewer work is planned for the week of December 14 at the intersections of Buchanan Street, Laguna Street and Gough Street.
- Concrete roadway base work is planned for the week of December 14 on Geary Boulevard and Starr King Way/O’Farrell Street from Gough to Van Ness streets.
- Traffic signal and streetlight work is planned for the week of December 14 at the intersections of Commonwealth/Beaumont avenues, Laguna Street and Gough Street.
- As part of a new traffic signal that is being installed, Commonwealth and Beaumont avenues have become right-turn-only onto Geary Boulevard. Learn more about these changes at SFMTA.com/CommonwealthSafety.
- To improve pedestrian safety and accommodate the upcoming surface-level crosswalk, U-turns from westbound Geary at Webster Street to eastbound Geary are now prohibited. Drivers should plan alternative routes to access destinations.
- Curb ramp and sidewalk extension work is planned for the week of December 14 on Geary Boulevard at the intersections of Commonwealth/Beaumont avenues, Steiner Street, Webster Street, Buchanan Street, Laguna Street and Gough Street.
- During active sidewalk work, the inbound and outbound 38/38R bus stops at Gough Street, Laguna Street and Webster Street will be temporarily relocated nearby. Look for “Board Here” signs.
- Construction of the expanded patio at Hamilton Recreation Center on Steiner Street is planned for the week of December 14. Work is scheduled to begin at 7:00 a.m. at this location.
Van Ness Avenue – Market Street
- Construction in this segment is currently paused in observance of the City’s moratorium on work during the holiday season, in support of local businesses.
Questions or concerns? Contact us at GearyRapid@SFMTA.com or 415.646.2300.
Your Geary Rapid Project Newsletter is Here!
- Why does construction take so long?
- How multi-agency projects work
- Temporary Emergency Transit Lanes are coming to the Richmond
Due to the latest citywide shutdown order and rapidly evolving public health guidance, please check with businesses to confirm that they are open.
Shop & Dine in the 49. Find information about how to support local restaurants and businesses during the holiday shopping season.
There are no planned temporary 38/38R bus stop relocations this week that are part of work that is unrelated to the Geary Rapid Project.
For the most up-to-date Muni service information, parking enforcement, and other updates visit SFMTA.com/COVID19.