Geary Rapid Project Construction Forecast: December 5 - December 18, 2020
Photo: Crews install tactile dome trim and check the angle of the grade for the curb ramp in the new crosswalk center island at Geary and Laguna.
As part of the Geary Rapid Project, construction continues on surface improvements, including upgraded traffic signals and streetlights, sidewalk extensions at bus stops and intersection corners, improved median refuges and roadway repaving, which are being managed by San Francisco Public Works. Work to replace aging water pipes east of Van Ness Avenue is currently on pause in observance of the holiday construction moratorium, in support of local businesses.
Geary Rapid Project construction is currently scheduled to continue during the shelter in place order, with crews observing social distancing requirements and a safe working environment. The following two-week construction forecast is subject to change due to weather delays or unexpected field conditions.
Stanyan Street – Franklin Street
Mondays through Fridays between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.:
- Minor sewer work is planned for the weeks of December 7 and December 14 at the intersections of Buchanan Street, Laguna Street and Gough Street.
- Concrete roadway base work is planned for the weeks of December 7 and December 14 on Geary Boulevard and Starr King Way/O’Farrell Street from Gough to Van Ness streets.
- Traffic signal and streetlight work is planned for the weeks of December 7 and December 14 at the intersections of Commonwealth/Beaumont avenues, Laguna Street and Gough Street.
- As part of a new traffic signal that is being installed, Commonwealth and Beaumont avenues have become right-turn only onto Geary Boulevard. Learn more about these changes at SFMTA.com/CommonwealthSafety.
- To improve pedestrian safety and accommodate the upcoming surface-level crosswalk, U-turns from westbound Geary at Webster Street to eastbound Geary are now prohibited. Drivers should plan alternative routes to access destinations.
- Curb ramp and sidewalk extension work is planned for the weeks of December 7 and December 14 on Geary Boulevard at the intersections of Commonwealth/Beaumont avenues, Steiner Street, Webster Street, Buchanan Street, Laguna Street and Gough Street.
- During active sidewalk work, the inbound and outbound 38/38R bus stops at Gough Street, Laguna Street and Webster Street will be temporarily relocated nearby. Look for “Board Here” signs.
- Weekend work: Final curb-to-curb asphalt roadway repaving is planned on Saturday, December 5 (paving) for both directions of the Geary Boulevard frontage roads from Steiner to Webster streets. There may be traffic delays while lanes are closed during work.
- During paving in front of driveways, there will be a four-hour period with restricted vehicle access as the hot asphalt cools down. Affected properties will be notified in advance.
- Similarly, the inbound and outbound 38/38R Geary bus stops at Fillmore will be temporarily relocated nearby briefly as the pavement cools on Saturday. Look for “Board Here” signs.
- Work is planned to begin at 7:00 a.m. on Saturday, December 5 to minimize impacts to adjacent businesses.
- Construction of the expanded patio at Hamilton Recreation Center on Steiner Street is planned for the weeks of December 7 and December 14. Work is scheduled to begin at 7:00 a.m. at this location.
Van Ness Avenue – Market Street
- Construction in this segment is currently paused in observance of the City’s moratorium on work during the holiday season, in support of local businesses.
Questions or concerns? Contact us at GearyRapid@SFMTA.com or 415.646.2300.
Your Geary Rapid Project newsletter is here
- Why does construction take so long?
- How multi-agency projects work
- Temporary Emergency Transit Lanes are coming to the Richmond
Tenderloin Outdoor Dining is OPEN! Revisit an old favorite or discover a new restaurant along Larkin Street and Golden Gate Avenue (between Larkin & Hyde Street), Thursday - Sunday, 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Rather stay in? Check out the latest list of Tenderloin restaurants for takeout/delivery.
Union Square is open for Shop & Dine every Friday and Saturday. Visit the largest collection of retailers in the City to grab lunch and enjoy the decorations in Union Square Park. And starting November 19, the annual Macy’s Holiday Tree will be lit every night through the New Year.
Shop & Dine in the 49. Find information about how to support local restaurants and businesses during the holiday shopping season.
The following 38/38R bus stops are planned to be temporarily relocated. These changes are part of work that is unrelated to the Geary Rapid Project.
- Mondays – Fridays, October 12 – December 18, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.:
The inbound and outbound 38/38R Geary bus stops between 33rd and 42nd avenues will be temporarily relocated nearby during roadway work.
For the most up to date Muni service information, parking enforcement, and other updates visit SFMTA.com/COVID19.