Geary Rapid Project Construction Forecast: March 6 - March 19, 2021
Photo: Crew member laying new pavers in the center median at Geary and Steiner streets.
As part of the Geary Rapid Project, work to replace aging water lines, in coordination with San Francisco Public Utilities Commission, continues. Surface transportation improvements, including upgraded traffic signals and streetlights, sidewalk extensions at bus stops and intersection corners, improved median refuges and roadway repaving, are also underway and are being managed by San Francisco Public Works.
Geary Rapid Project construction is currently scheduled to continue during the shelter in place order, with crews observing social distancing requirements and a safe working environment. The following two-week construction forecast is subject to change due to weather delays or unexpected field conditions.
Stanyan Street – Van Ness Avenue
Mondays through Fridays between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.:
- Concrete roadway base work is planned for the weeks of March 8 and March 15 on westbound Geary Boulevard from Spruce to Cook streets, and on Geary Street and Starr King Way/O’Farrell Street from Gough Street to Van Ness Avenue.
- Minor sewer work is planned for the week of March 8 at the Laguna Street intersection.
- Minor traffic signal and streetlight work are planned for the weeks of March 8 and March 15 between Divisadero and Laguna streets.
- Curb ramp and sidewalk extension work is planned for the weeks of March 8 and March 15 on Geary Boulevard at the intersections of Divisadero Street, Steiner Street, Laguna Street and Gough Street.
- During active sidewalk work, the inbound and outbound 38/38R bus stops at Laguna Street will be temporarily relocated nearby. Look for “Board Here” signs.
- Construction of the expanded patio at Hamilton Recreation Center on Steiner Street is planned for the weeks of March 8 and March 15. Work is scheduled to begin at 7:00 a.m. at this location.
Van Ness Avenue – Market Street
Mondays through Fridays between 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.:
- Water service connection work is planned for the weeks of March 8 and March 15 on Geary Street between Taylor and Powell streets.
- Water service to some properties may be briefly shut off while SFPUC connects to the new water main on Geary. SFPUC will notify properties in advance of any service interruption. To minimize disruption, work is sometimes conducted at night.
- Roadway and sidewalk work are planned for the weeks of March 8 and March 15 on Geary Street between Leavenworth and Jones streets.
Some parking will be temporarily restricted in construction zones and traffic lanes will be modified during active work. There may be brief vibrations during sidewalk and roadway excavation.
Questions or concerns? Contact us at GearyRapid@SFMTA.com or 415.646.2300.
You can help San Francisco's vibrant commercial life rebound from COVID-19 by visiting local businesses in the Fillmore, Japantown, the Tenderloin and Union Square. As San Francisco begins to reopen from the latest citywide shutdown order, please check with individual businesses to confirm that they are open.
For customers: Shop & Dine in the 49. Find information about how to support local restaurants and businesses throughout San Francisco.
For businesses: SF Shines. Apply for up to $5000 in grants to operate safely.
There are no planned temporary 38/38R bus stop relocations this week that are part of work that is unrelated to the Geary Rapid Project.
For the most up-to-date Muni service information, parking enforcement and other updates visit SFMTA.com/COVID19.