Geary Rapid Project Construction Forecast: November 14 - November 27, 2020
Photo: Crew finishing new curb ramp in front of Mel’s Drive-In at Geary and Beaumont.
As part of the Geary Rapid Project, work to replace aging water and sewer lines, in coordination with San Francisco Public Utilities Commission, is almost complete west of Van Ness Avenue. Surface improvements, including upgraded traffic signals and streetlights, sidewalk extensions at bus stops and intersection corners, improved median refuges and roadway repaving, are also underway and are being managed by San Francisco Public Works.
Geary Rapid Project construction is currently scheduled to continue during the shelter in place order, with crews observing social distancing requirements and a safe working environment. The following two-week construction forecast is subject to change due to weather delays or unexpected field conditions.
Stanyan Street – Franklin Street
Mondays through Fridays between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.:
- Minor sewer work is planned for the weeks of November 16 and November 23 at the intersections of Buchanan Street, Laguna Street and Cleary Court.
- Concrete roadway base work is planned for the weeks of November 16 and November 23 on Geary Boulevard from Steiner to Gough streets.
- Traffic signal and streetlight work is planned for the weeks of November 16 and November 23 at the intersections of Commonwealth/Beaumont avenues, Steiner Street, Webster Street, Buchanan Street and Laguna Street.
- As part of a new traffic signal that is being installed, Commonwealth and Beaumont avenues have become right-turn only onto Geary Boulevard. Learn more about these changes at SFMTA.com/CommonwealthSafety.
- To improve pedestrian safety and accommodate the upcoming surface-level crosswalk, U-turns from westbound Geary at Webster Street to eastbound Geary are now prohibited. Drivers should plan alternative routes to access destinations.
- Curb ramp and sidewalk extension work is planned for the weeks of November 16 and November 23 on Geary Boulevard at the intersections of Commonwealth/Beaumont avenues, Steiner Street, Webster Street, Buchanan Street, Cleary Court, and Gough Street.
- During active sidewalk work, the outbound 38 bus stops at Gough Street and Webster Street will be temporarily relocated nearby. Look for “Board Here” signs.
- Construction of the expanded patio at Hamilton Recreation Center on Steiner Street is planned for the weeks of November 16 and November 23. Work is scheduled to begin at 7:00 a.m. at this location.
Van Ness Avenue – Market Street
Mondays through Fridays between 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.:
- Water service connection work is planned for the weeks of November 16 and November 23 on Geary Street between Hyde and Jones streets and between Powell and Stockton streets.
- Water service to some properties may be briefly shut off while SFPUC connects to the new water main on Geary. SFPUC will notify properties in advance of any service interruption. To minimize disruption, work is sometimes conducted at night.
- Night work: Water main connections within the intersection of Geary and Jones are planned on Monday, November 16 at 11:00 p.m. This will briefly shut off water service for properties on Jones Street between Bush and O’Farrell streets.
- Roadway and sidewalk work are planned for the weeks of November 16 and November 23 on Geary Street at the intersections of Larkin Street and Hyde Street.
Some parking will be temporarily restricted in construction zones and traffic lanes will be modified during active work. There may be brief vibrations during sidewalk and roadway excavation.
Questions or concerns? Contact us at GearyRapid@SFMTA.com or 415.646.2300.
- Tenderloin Outdoor Dining is underway! Revisit an old favorite or discover a new restaurant along Larkin Street and Golden Gate Avenue (between Larkin & Hyde Street), Thursday - Sunday, 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Visit the new Fillmore Marketplace, Sunday, November 15 from 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. At O’Farrell and Fillmore streets. Support Black-owned businesses, shop and eat at a local restaurant.
Japantown misses you! Saturdays and Sundays, 11:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. until November 29th visit Japantown’s Picnic at the Plaza to nosh on noodles, snack on sushi, devour your donburi, munch on matcha cake, sip your sake, and swig your Sapporo. Support your favorite restaurants and markets. Head back on Tuesday, November 17th, from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. for Japantown COVID-19 testing. Walk-ins are welcome from 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm.
The holidays are upon us and Union Square is open for Shop & Dine every Friday and Saturday. Visit the largest collection of retailers in the City to grab lunch and enjoy the decorations in Union Square Park. And starting November 19, the annual Macy’s Holiday Tree will be lit every night through the New Year.
The following 38/38R bus stops are planned to be temporarily relocated. These changes are part of work that is unrelated to the Geary Rapid Project.
- Mondays – Fridays, October 12 – November 30, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.:
The inbound and outbound 38/38R Geary bus stops between 33rd and 42nd avenues will be temporarily relocated nearby during roadway work.
For the most up to date Muni service information, parking enforcement, and other updates visit SFMTA.com/COVID19.