Geary Rapid Project Construction Forecast: November 21 - December 4, 2020
Photo: Crews constructing the new bus bulb out for the outbound 38 Geary stop at Fillmore in the foreground while other crews install new traffic signals in the background.
As part of the Geary Rapid Project, work to replace aging water and sewer lines, in coordination with San Francisco Public Utilities Commission, is almost complete west of Van Ness Avenue. Surface improvements, including upgraded traffic signals and streetlights, sidewalk extensions at bus stops and intersection corners, improved median refuges and roadway repaving, are also underway and are being managed by San Francisco Public Works.
Geary Rapid Project construction is currently scheduled to continue during the shelter in place order, with crews observing social distancing requirements and a safe working environment. The following two-week construction forecast is subject to change due to weather delays or unexpected field conditions. No work is planned on Thursday and Friday, November 26-27 as crews are observing the Thanksgiving holiday.
Stanyan Street – Franklin Street
Mondays through Fridays between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.:
- Minor sewer work is planned for the weeks of November 23 and November 30 at the intersections of Buchanan Street and Laguna Street.
- Concrete roadway base work is planned for the weeks of November 23 and November 30 on Geary Boulevard from Steiner to Gough streets.
- Traffic signal and streetlight work is planned for the weeks of November 23 and November 30 at the intersections of Commonwealth/Beaumont avenues, Steiner Street, Webster Street and Laguna Street.
- As part of a new traffic signal that is being installed, Commonwealth and Beaumont avenues have become right-turn only onto Geary Boulevard. Learn more about these changes at SFMTA.com/CommonwealthSafety.
- To improve pedestrian safety and accommodate the upcoming surface-level crosswalk, U-turns from westbound Geary at Webster Street to eastbound Geary are now prohibited. Drivers should plan alternative routes to access destinations.
- Curb ramp and sidewalk extension work is planned for the weeks of November 23 and November 30 on Geary Boulevard at the intersections of Commonwealth/Beaumont avenues, Steiner Street, Webster Street, Buchanan Street and Gough Street.
- During active sidewalk work, the inbound and outbound 38 bus stops at Gough Street and Webster Street will be temporarily relocated nearby. Look for “Board Here” signs.
- Weekend work: Final curb-to-curb asphalt roadway repaving is planned on Monday, November 30 (grinding) and Tuesday, December 1 (paving) for both directions of Geary Boulevard from Laguna to Gough streets, and on Thursday, December 3 (grinding) and Saturday, December 5 (paving) for both directions of the Geary Boulevard frontage roads from Steiner to Webster streets. There may be traffic delays while lanes are closed during work.
- During paving in front of driveways, there will be a four-hour period with restricted vehicle access as the hot asphalt cools down. Affected properties will be notified in advance.
- Similarly, the inbound and outbound 38/38R Geary bus stops at Fillmore will be temporarily relocated nearby briefly as the pavement cools. Look for “Board Here” signs.
- Work is planned to begin at 7:00 a.m. on Saturday, December 5 to minimize impacts to adjacent businesses.
- Construction of the expanded patio at Hamilton Recreation Center on Steiner Street is planned for the weeks of November 23 and November 30. Work is scheduled to begin at 7:00 a.m. at this location.
Van Ness Avenue – Market Street
Mondays through Fridays between 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.:
- Water service connection work is planned for the week of November 23 on Geary Street between Hyde and Jones streets and between Powell and Stockton streets.
- Water service to some properties may be briefly shut off while SFPUC connects to the new water main on Geary. SFPUC will notify properties in advance of any service interruption. To minimize disruption, work is sometimes conducted at night.
- Roadway and sidewalk work are planned for the week of November 23 on Geary Street at the intersections of Larkin Street and Hyde Street.
Some parking will be temporarily restricted in construction zones and traffic lanes will be modified during active work. There may be brief vibrations during sidewalk and roadway excavation.
Questions or concerns? Contact us at GearyRapid@SFMTA.com or 415.646.2300.
Tenderloin Outdoor Dining is underway! Revisit an old favorite or discover a new restaurant along Larkin Street and Golden Gate Avenue (between Larkin & Hyde Street), Thursday - Sunday, 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Japantown misses you! Saturdays and Sundays, 11:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. until November 29th visit Japantown’s Picnic at the Plaza to nosh on noodles, snack on sushi, devour your donburi, munch on matcha cake, sip your sake, and swig your Sapporo. Support your favorite restaurants and markets.
The holidays are upon us and Union Square is open for Shop & Dine every Friday and Saturday. Visit the largest collection of retailers in the City to grab lunch and enjoy the decorations in Union Square Park. And starting November 19, the annual Macy’s Holiday Tree will be lit every night through the New Year.
The following 38/38R bus stops are planned to be temporarily relocated. These changes are part of work that is unrelated to the Geary Rapid Project.
- Mondays – Fridays, October 12 – November 30, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.:
The inbound and outbound 38/38R Geary bus stops between 33rd and 42nd avenues will be temporarily relocated nearby during roadway work.
For the most up to date Muni service information, parking enforcement, and other updates visit SFMTA.com/COVID19.