Geary Rapid Project Construction Forecast: November 23, 2019 - December 6, 2019
As part of the Geary Rapid Project, work to replace aging water and sewer lines on Geary Boulevard, in coordination with San Francisco Public Utilities Commission, continues. Work to replace water mains on Geary Street east of Van Ness Avenue is being coordinated with San Francisco Public Works.
The following two-week construction forecast is subject to change due to weather delays or unexpected field conditions.
Masonic Avenue – Gough Street
Mondays through Fridays between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.:
- Concrete roadway base work is planned for the weeks of November 25 and December 2 on Geary Boulevard between Presidio and Baker streets.
- Sewer main replacement is planned for the weeks of November 25 and December 2 between Buchanan and Cleary streets.
- Installation of pull boxes in the sidewalk for fiber optic cables is planned for the week of November 25 between Lyon and Gough streets.
On Saturday, November 23, the eastbound Geary frontage road from Presidio Avenue to Lyon Street will be closed between 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. while crews work on concrete roadway base work.
- Eastbound traffic will be slightly detoured, and parking will be restricted on the south side of Geary Boulevard between Presidio Avenue and Lyon Street.
- No bus stops will be affected. Inbound 38/38R Geary buses will be slightly rerouted, which will add some travel time.
Van Ness Avenue – Hyde Street
Mondays through Fridays between 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.:
- Water main installation, connection and testing is planned for the week of November 25 on Geary Street between Van Ness and Hyde streets.
- Water service to some properties may be briefly shut off while SFPUC connects to the new water main. SFPUC will directly notify properties in advance of any service interruption. To minimize disruption, work is sometimes conducted at night.
Some parking will be temporarily restricted in construction zones and traffic lanes will be modified during active work.
Questions or concerns? Contact us at GearyRapid@SFMTA.com or 415.646.2300.
Holiday Moratorium to Begin for Work East of Van Ness
In accordance with City policy to support small businesses during the busy holiday season, the holiday moratorium will be observed for the Geary East contract beginning on Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 28. Crews will demobilize beginning on Wednesday, November 27, and equipment will be removed from the area until after January 1, 2020. Work to replace water mains is expected to begin again on Geary Street between Polk and Hyde Streets in early January.
West of Van Ness Avenue, contractors plan to continue utility work through December on eastbound Geary between Webster and Gough streets.
Geary Rapid Project Schedule
Work is currently underway on two of the four total construction contracts that comprise the Geary Rapid Project. While construction remains on schedule, some of the contracts were advertised later than originally expected. As a result, the project overall is now expected to be substantially completed in mid-2021.
The following 38/38R bus stops are planned to be temporarily relocated. These changes are part of work that is unrelated to the Geary Rapid Project.
- Mondays - Sundays, November 1 - December 31, all day:
The inbound 38/38R Geary bus stop on O'Farrell Street at Van Ness Avenue will be temporarily relocated west towards Franklin Street while work related to the Van Ness Improvement Project is performed.
- Mondays - Sunday, November 8 - November 27, all day:
The inbound 38/38R Geary bus stop on O'Farrell at Powell Street will be temporarily shifted slightly west during utility excavation work.
- Mondays - Fridays, November 14 - December 13, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The inbound 38/38R Geary/38-AX "A" Express bus stop on Geary Boulevard and 39th Avenue will be temporarily relocated west before the existing stop to the far side of Geary Boulevard and 40th Avenue during construction.