L Taraval Improvement Forecast and Project Segment B Update - January 1 - 13, 2024
January 8, 2024 planned rail pull from
- Wawona to Ulloa between 15th and Fire side
- Wawona to Taraval between 20th and 22nd
L Taraval Improvement Project
Segment B Update – January 1 - 13, 2024
HAPPY NEW YEAR! 2024
In 2023 we reached a major milestone with the halfway mark of construction. We’re grateful to the community and to our partners at SF Public Utilities Commission and Public Works as we work to replace the critical infrastructure that will serve and support the community for years to come. We acknowledge that this phase of construction has been most impactful to the community. Throughout the project we have been partnering with merchants and residents to lessen the impacts of construction on their daily lives and we will continue to directly respond to and work with the community to address concerns.
Now we look to the new year and all we plan to accomplish. Below is an overview of the work we completed through 2023 and our planned construction for 2024.
In 2024 we will continue with track work rail installation, and constructing and upgrading boarding islands, curb ramps, and boarding ramps. Underground conduit work is being performed to power the streetlights and OCS poles. Water and sewer line work continues, adding conduits and connections. Streetlights, boarding ramps, ADA compliant curb ramps, and boarding islands and OCS work continues along this busy corridor. Construction teams will be excavating and jackhammering pavement, which may cause vibrations. Materials are also being temporarily stored nearby. Dust control and housekeeping measures are in place at active construction and staging locations.
Overhead contact system (OCS) pole, overhead wiring and permanent pole placement will be performed along the L Taraval line from Ulloa and Funston to Taraval and Sunset between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. and expected to be complete June 2024. Work on any given block will vary and is expected to take a few hours to a few days per location.
General construction hours are Monday to Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Construction schedules are subject to change. “No Parking” signs will be posted in construction and staging areas, and intersections may be closed to through traffic on Taraval Street
*Please be advised that the construction schedule may be impacted by material availability and coordination between agencies.
Multiple agencies are performing infrastructure work in the area. This includes work by Public Works on 19th Avenue, Public Utilities Commission at Vicente and Wawona streets and PG&E along Taraval Street.
The following L Taraval bus stops will be relocated during construction:
- The inbound bus stop at Taraval Street and 15th Avenue has been relocated across the intersection until fall 2024.
Through January 2
L Taraval Bus, L Owl, L Taraval Special
- 15th Avenue to northwest corner
- 17th Avenue to northeast corner
- Taraval and Forest Side to Ulloa and Lenox, northwest corner
- 15th to 17th southeast corner
January 1 – February 15, 2024
- 14th and Ulloa to Madrone and Ulloa, northwest corner
- Ulloa and Lenox to West portal and Ulloa, southeast corner
- 14th and Ulloa to Taraval and 14th, northeast corner
- 14th and Taraval to northeast corner
January 3 to February 16, 2024
L Taraval / L Special / L Owl
- 15th Avenue to northwest corner
- 17th Avenue to Santiago and 17th, southwest corner
- 19th Avenue to northeast corner
- 22nd Avenue to Ulloa and 22nd, southwest corner
- Taraval and Forest side to Ulloa and Lenox, northwest corner
- 15th Avenue and Taraval to 17th Avenue and Taraval, southeast corner
- 19th Avenue to southwest corner
- 23rd Avenue to southeast corner
Bus reroute maps are available with temporary bus stop relocations during construction on our website (SFMTA.com/TempStopMap)
Please note the following impacts to travel during track work:
- By car: Taraval Street will be open to through traffic traveling east- and westbound, however, vehicles approaching areas with active track installation will only be able to access Taraval Street by making right turns. At times, traffic may be stopped briefly to allow large machinery to perform work. Please allow extra travel time.
- By bus: The L Bus may be rerouted around the construction area when heavy equipment is present.
- On foot: Pedestrians will be able to cross Taraval Street in the construction area at 18th Avenue via a pedestrian access during non-construction hours and weekends.
L Taraval Improvement Project – Segment B
Construction work is scheduled to be performed – January 1 - 13, 2024
- 14th Avenue: waterline work, service line connection installation (possible brief disruptions to water service – notices will be distributed)
- 15th to 16th avenues: sidewalk, construction of bulbout, ramp
- 15th – 19th avenues: OCS work, pole foundation and install
- 17th to 18th avenues: accessible platform construction (anticipated to begin January 15)
- 18th to 19th avenues: Construction of accessible platform and boarding island
- 18th 23rd, 24th avenues: OCS night work, excavate and install conduits and restore sidewalk
- 19th to 22nd avenues: track area, demolish and remove rails (anticipated start January 3, 2024) (rail pull anticipated January 9, 2024)
- 22nd to 35th avenues: OCS night work, pull contact wire, install (anticipated start January 3)
- 29th to 30th avenues: boarding island (anticipated start January 2, 2024)
- 30th to 31st avenues: boarding island, complete construction (anticipated start January 2)
- 36th Avenue: intersection, water line work
- Forest Side to 15th Avenue: track work, remove and construction of tracks, (rail pull anticipated January 7, 2024)
- 15th Avenue at Ulloa intersection: track work, pour new track pavement; excavate sawcut and grade bulb-out and curb and gutter
- 21st to 23rd avenues: assembled rail stored until installation
- On Taraval Street between 19th to 35th avenues: OCS prep work for installation, removing and reconstructing existing poles
Temporary staging locations
- Taraval Street between 12th and 14th avenues: store and weld rails for installation for the curve work at 15th Avenue
- Ulloa Street south side from 15th to 16th avenues
- 14th Avenue west side from Ulloa to Taraval streets
Supporting businesses on Taraval
We continue to support small businesses in the area with current and planned marketing campaigns to support the merchants during construction to drive business to the community:
- The Mayor’s Office of Economic and Workforce Development (OEWD), in partnership with Shop Dine SF, is creating a landing page on the Shop Dine SF website to highlight small businesses on Taraval.
- A shop Taraval campaign, including holiday events, Taraval BINGO games and bus ad promotions planned for winter 2023/24.
Please to sign up for email and SMS project updates on the project page.